Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Macro Musing with a Micro Porsche
Lens: DFA 50/2.8 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Book Shelf ISO: 32000 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: Sailor, 01-04-2020, 10:27 AM

I continue to play with my DFA 50; here's a "quick and dirty" shot of a Hot Wheels version of a Porsche 911 GT3 (991). This sort of thing should be done with a tripod and remote shutter release to optimize lens opening and shutter speed, but . . . . . . . . . I'm too lazy. Just having fun experimenting.

Jer

Views: 551
01-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice shot. Like the contrast of the dark background.

I got myself a Porsche this Xmas...a 356 coupe with a VW flatbed transporter.

Not the real thing though .....micro cars...my wife picked it up as a 'stocking stuffer' this past Christmas.

It's on a book shelf, alongside another micro...a '59 Chevy station wagon with a canoe mounted on top. The Chevy reminded me of our family Chevy Parkwood (Bel Air) wagon we had back in '59/'60 when I was a kid.

Pulled our travel trailer to British Columbia and back and to a number of points south, in the U.S.A.

Forgot to wish you a Happy New Year, Jer.

Les
01-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice Black & White image.

TT
01-04-2020, 05:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice shot. Like the contrast of the dark background.

I got myself a Porsche this Xmas...a 356 coupe with a VW flatbed transporter.

Not the real thing though .....micro cars...my wife picked it up as a 'stocking stuffer' this past Christmas.

It's on a book shelf, alongside another micro...a '59 Chevy station wagon with a canoe mounted on top. The Chevy reminded me of our family Chevy Parkwood (Bel Air) wagon we had back in '59/'60 when I was a kid.

Pulled our travel trailer to British Columbia and back and to a number of points south, in the U.S.A.

Forgot to wish you a Happy New Year, Jer.

Les
Hey Les - Happy New Year!!!

You know, I've been a "car guy" since the '50s (when I wouldn't have known a carburetor from an air cleaner), but I never collected or made car models.

Fast forward: after I bought my first Porsche (a lightly used 2008 model) in the fall of 2009, I started looking for - and buying - Porsche and BMW (since I already had one of those) die cast cars. Now I've got dozens of 'em, most of which came from the big box stores like Target, as well as places like Tuesday Morning, Walgreens, CVS and other such places - only a few are special order and none were particularly expensive. Now I've got a display case and a book case that I bought to hold 'em all (and some are still stored).

I neither need nor particularly want any more, but I can't help myself; a few weeks ago when I was in Kroger (paying for some past sin) I bought Hot Wheels micros of a Porsche 918 and Porsche 917 long tail. Wife Connie asked me: "what will we do with them?" I told her to stick 'em in my Christmas stocking, which she did.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Very nice Black & White image.

Thank you, Tony!

Jer

TT

01-05-2020, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey Les - Happy New Year!!!

You know, I've been a "car guy" since the '50s (when I wouldn't have known a carburetor from an air cleaner), but I never collected or made car models.

Fast forward: after I bought my first Porsche (a lightly used 2008 model) in the fall of 2009, I started looking for - and buying - Porsche and BMW (since I already had one of those) die cast cars. Now I've got dozens of 'em, most of which came from the big box stores like Target, as well as places like Tuesday Morning, Walgreens, CVS and other such places - only a few are special order and none were particularly expensive. Now I've got a display case and a book case that I bought to hold 'em all (and some are still stored).

I neither need nor particularly want any more, but I can't help myself; a few weeks ago when I was in Kroger (paying for some past sin) I bought Hot Wheels micros of a Porsche 918 and Porsche 917 long tail. Wife Connie asked me: "what will we do with them?" I told her to stick 'em in my Christmas stocking, which she did.

Jer

I was never a car model constructor either. I do recall making about 2 attempts at making models when I was very young, one was a T-Bird, another a Harvard Trainer airplane (known in the states as a Texan I think). I was able to get most of the parts in the right place, but I recall glue had oozed out everywhere. They were both a bit of a mess and there were some parts left over.

My current micro car collection is small and were bought at the local Co-op store or Walmart. I told my wife I was buying them for our not quite 2 year old grandson, but 'unfortunately' he is too young to have them yet. She doesn't believe me either.

When I was a young boy, my parents used to buy English made Lesney, Matchbox and Dinky cars which I recall were very well made...forerunners of the Hot Wheel micro car type. I had both American and British small cars. In Canada back then, a large dept. store...Eaton's used to sell them and these little cars were of quite good quality I recall.

My dad was quite a talented, amateur carpenter and made me a Christmas gift I'll never forget, when I was about 4 years old. It was a good sized Esso garage station with two folding service doors, two gas pumps, a ramp which led to a 2nd story parking lot and an indoor showroom with a couple of 1/18th scale metal, early '50's Hudson Hornets in the showroom.

As a result, the fabulous Hudson Hornet has always been one of my favourite vintage cars since that period.

Les
01-05-2020, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was never a car model constructor either. . . . . . . . . As a result, the fabulous Hudson Hornet has always been one of my favourite vintage cars since that period.

Les
By golly Les, you've made eat my words - at least a little bit - by mentioning Matchbox and Dinky Toys. While I didn't "collect" them, I had a number of Matchbox cars in the '50s, and I had a number of Dinky Toys vehicles - mostly military stuff used by the Brits. When I had a bad case of the measles, my Dad bought me a set of Dinky Toy military hardware including an antiaircraft gun, some trucks and a couple of tracked vehicles - he even bought some tiny soldiers that were designed to fit in the vehicles. I think I still have them.

BTW, one of my die cast Porsches - a 356 coupe -- is branded as a Dinky Toy and looks like the ones I grew up with.

Jer
01-05-2020, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
made me a Christmas gift I'll never forget, when I was about 4 years old. It was a good sized Esso garage station with two folding service doors, two gas pumps, a ramp which led to a 2nd story parking lot and an indoor showroom with a couple of 1/18th scale metal, early '50's Hudson Hornets in the showroom.
You made my day with this memory. My dad was better at building houses, barns and elevator shaft forms than cabinets, so my Esso garage was probably cruder than yours, but I think mine was still kicking around the farmhouse when my brothers and I cleaned up the place for his estate auction. I think I'm a little younger than you too, my Dinky toys didn't include Hudsons or Packards or anything like that, mostly models from the early sixties (and a Triumph and an MG if I remember correctly, which were completely foreign to me).

01-06-2020, 11:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
You made my day with this memory. My dad was better at building houses, barns and elevator shaft forms than cabinets, so my Esso garage was probably cruder than yours, but I think mine was still kicking around the farmhouse when my brothers and I cleaned up the place for his estate auction. I think I'm a little younger than you too, my Dinky toys didn't include Hudsons or Packards or anything like that, mostly models from the early sixties (and a Triumph and an MG if I remember correctly, which were completely foreign to me).
Glad it triggered a nice memory for you. I don't have my garage anymore. It was passed onto to a younger cousin when I was about 11 and I can tell this is one toy I wish I still had.

It was great and those early '50's Hudson Hornets, of which I had models) were at the time regarded as performance cars of their day, especially when optioned with the Twin H (twin Carbs) 308 cubic inch (5.1 liter) , big inline flathead six. They were winning a lot of early NASCAR races when race cars were relatively stock.

I'm 70 so you're probably younger. These days everyone seems younger Think I may have had an early Dinky MG TD. Had some Vauxhalls and the same type of Ford Anglia as featured in Harry Potter movies. When I was a kid in the '50's my parents had three English Austins in a row, then finally went domestic and bought a new '56 Ford Fairlane with the 312 cube/225 hp V8. That Ford V8 had a lot more punch then the 1.2 liter Austin 4 cylinder.

With the two of us being prairie boys, we both recall how important the T. Eaton company was back then in the '50's/'60's. A buddy still has a set of Teco Master hand tools and our air conditioner is from Eatons...it was an Eaton's branded Keep Rite...still keeping us cool after close to 40 years... during those hot prairie summers.

Les

---------- Post added 01-06-20 at 12:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
By golly Les, you've made eat my words - at least a little bit - by mentioning Matchbox and Dinky Toys. While I didn't "collect" them, I had a number of Matchbox cars in the '50s, and I had a number of Dinky Toys vehicles - mostly military stuff used by the Brits. When I had a bad case of the measles, my Dad bought me a set of Dinky Toy military hardware including an antiaircraft gun, some trucks and a couple of tracked vehicles - he even bought some tiny soldiers that were designed to fit in the vehicles. I think I still have them.

BTW, one of my die cast Porsches - a 356 coupe -- is branded as a Dinky Toy and looks like the ones I grew up with.

Jer
Jer,

Your dad had a good idea to occupy you fully when you had the measles . I'm sure it made the time fly by.

I recall when I had the measles...grade 2 or 3 I think. I was off school for a couple of weeks. My parents got me a couple of Hardy Boy's mysteries to help pass the time, and after reading them I was hooked on mystery novels. A few years later I discovered Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes books and my love for mystery books...mostly American and British novels, remains unabated to this day.

Fascinating to think about how life long interests (cars, mystery novels, etc.) can germinate, when your young and are laid up with a childhood disease.

Les
01-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great pic. Loved the contrast
01-07-2020, 07:33 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Varunvg85 Quote
Great pic. Loved the contrast
Thanks.