Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Australasian darter at Jerrabomberra Wetlands
Lens: F 300/4.5 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Jerrabomberra Wetkands, Canberra ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: PJ1, 01-05-2020, 12:49 PM

I had a quick visit to Canberra recently. With all the heavy smoke (even though the fires were quite some distance away) it was not particularly conducive to nature photography. But on the best morning I managed a walk at Jerrabomberra Wetlands. At the moment, 'wetlands' is a bit of a misnomer - with the extended dry period what should have been a haven for wading birds is cracked and dry mud. But I passed one billabong containing water where this Australasian darter was perched on a dead branch. At least it gave me something to try my (new to me) F 300/4.5 on. Unfortunately I had left the aperture set at F4.5 so I didn't quite get what I hoping for. But it is still a striking bird. They are about 90cm (3 feet) in length.

Last edited by PJ1; 01-05-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Views: 484
01-05-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like you did a very good job all the same. I've always enjoyed watching Anhingas . Enjoy that F300 4.5 . I've had mine now a very long time.. Built like a tank and optically incredible. I look forward to seeing more pics with it from you!

al
01-05-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Terrific photo!

I hope you and yours are safely situated away from the fires - they're making big news here in the US.

Jer
01-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #4
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice bird portrait. Definitely a striking bird. Well done.

Looks to me as though the F*300 performed quite well for this shot. Its optics certainly are superior - I use mine frequently for astro images, and stars are essentially perfect across the field. It won't let you down.

Take care in the "hot zone".

01-05-2020, 05:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely done! Great use of DoF, great color, Nice!
01-05-2020, 07:18 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice capture. You got good results shooting it wide open. It certainly created a nice smooth background to isolate the bird.
01-06-2020, 05:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I had a quick visit to Canberra recently. With all the heavy smoke (even though the fires were quite some distance away) it was not particularly conducive to nature photography. But on the best morning I managed a walk at Jerrabomberra Wetlands. At the moment, 'wetlands' is a bit of a misnomer - with the extended dry period what should have been a haven for wading birds is cracked and dry mud. But I passed one billabong containing water where this Australasian darter was perched on a dead branch. At least it gave me something to try my (new to me) F 300/4.5 on. Unfortunately I had left the aperture set at F4.5 so I didn't quite get what I hoping for. But it is still a striking bird. They are about 90cm (3 feet) in length.
Excellent Photo! Perfect focus. The "mistake" of shooting wide open, as ToddK says, avoids a possible busy background - the bird and the branch are the only discernible items in the pic. You have captured the interesting pattern on the upper portion of the wing very nicely.

01-07-2020, 12:26 AM   #8
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Looks like you did a very good job all the same.
Thanks. I am starting to get the hang of how much PP is enough.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Terrific photo! I hope you and yours are safely situated away from the fires
Thanks. No fires near us thankfully but we still get very heavy smoke from fires 100 km away. On the last day I was in Canberra visibility was no more than 400 metres in the morning. And there were no fires that were very close to Canberra either.

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Very nice bird portrait. Definitely a striking bird.
Thanks. Yes, it is a striking bird. It pulled me up smartly when I saw it. I am more used to cormorants on my farm dams. Those are similar in shape but a lot smaller and either all black or black and white.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Nicely done! Great use of DoF
Thanks. Can't claim any real planning in the DOF department.

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Very nice capture.
Thanks. I am starting to doubt myself less.

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Excellent Photo! Perfect focus.
Thanks. Perfect focus is down to the F*300/f4.5. It is my first * lens and I am very happy with it.
01-09-2020, 09:27 AM   #9

Wonderfully detailed shot! That's a great lens.
01-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #10
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pknot Quote
Wonderfully detailed shot! That's a great lens.
Thanks. I am looking forward to giving it more of a work out when there is an opportunity.