Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ducks House Hunting
Posted By: reh321, 01-05-2020, 09:50 PM

I saw these ducks in our back yard, Apparently he wanted to find housing away from the crowd, but they didn't stay very long when they understood that I wasn't going to put in a kiddie pool just for their kiddies.

Attached Images

Views: 523
01-06-2020, 04:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

We have a pair of mallards that often in my back yard. I have a tiny creek (dry in the summer) .I was surprised by how far water they nested.. they used a brush pile a good 1/2 acre from the creek. Nice capture of a pr of ducks in an unlikely spot.

Al
01-06-2020, 07:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
We have a pair of mallards that often in my back yard. I have a tiny creek (dry in the summer) .I was surprised by how far water they nested.. they used a brush pile a good 1/2 acre from the creek. Nice capture of a pr of ducks in an unlikely spot.

Al
Thank you for your words of explanation. I had always thought that ducks wanted lots of water nearby.
01-06-2020, 07:33 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They were just out checking out the neighborhood. I get a pair of mallards behind my house every year, although it was only one time that they had a nest (to my knowledge). It is fairly close to my neighbor's pool which they like, much to his displeasure.

01-06-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
They were just out checking out the neighborhood. I get a pair of mallards behind my house every year, although it was only one time that they had a nest (to my knowledge). It is fairly close to my neighbor's pool which they like, much to his displeasure.
Thank you for your contribution also.

I believe this pair had flown over from a drainage pond which is about a mile if you can fly, but probably has about enough water fowl. I can understand both sides of the open water discussion, but as I indicated, ducks will have to go elsewhere to get any.
01-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #6
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't recall ever having any ducks in the yard, though there's a small creak that runs in the woods down the hill behind the house. Have oddly had a huge snapping turtle all the way up in the driveway to lay eggs back when I was around 7 or so, before my grandfather paved the driveway. Pretty fun picture though.
01-06-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
Don't recall ever having any ducks in the yard, though there's a small creak that runs in the woods down the hill behind the house. Have oddly had a huge snapping turtle all the way up in the driveway to lay eggs back when I was around 7 or so, before my grandfather paved the driveway. Pretty fun picture though.
Yes, water does not seem to be the only issue affecting Mallards; in this case, I believe crowding of their natural habitat caused them to wander, perhaps discovering that their 'natural habitat' was in actuality their only choice, but giving me a "fun picture" in the process.

Thank you for adding your commentary, too.