Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Grain Elevator Art
Posted By: mroeder75, 01-05-2020, 11:14 PM

I had my Pentax K-5 with me, but it didn't work. I had taken the camera card out before we left on a trip to deliver my daughter to her 4-week physical therapy internship in Storm Lake, Iowa. I had my phone too, and I thought, well, I will sheepishly post here because who on this forum has ever seen grain elevator art?

I hate to compare it to South Dakota's Mount Rushmore, but this is the biggest piece of art we have here in Iowa. And, it's big.
Views: 638
01-05-2020, 11:27 PM   #2
GRB
Pentaxian

I have, but you did a great capture with your phone, well beats not taking it at all.
01-05-2020, 11:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GRB Quote
I have, but you did a great capture with your phone, well beats not taking it at all.
Perhaps you have seen grain elevator art because this was painted by one of your countrymen, an Australian artist who came to Iowa to deliver here. I didn't even know you could paint concrete in the winter when there was snow on the ground. Shows what little I know. An Australian who likely had little experience with snow did this.
The second video in the youtube series he speaks about his work. It's really amazing work.
01-06-2020, 05:14 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
That’s a really good way to make use of a huge blank canvas.

01-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Perhaps you have seen grain elevator art because this was painted by one of your countrymen, an Australian artist who came to Iowa to deliver here. I didn't even know you could paint concrete in the winter when there was snow on the ground. Shows what little I know. An Australian who likely had little experience with snow did this. Incredible art: Australia's Guido van Helten is painting this Iowa silo with a wrap-around mural - YouTube
The second video in the youtube series he speaks about his work. It's really amazing work.
Why not? The surface is in place, so might as well take advantage of that.
01-06-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, I do like the art, it is wonderful! Next, when will an ad agency figure out this is a new billboard for them to sell space on (or the silo owners)? Its going to happen!
01-06-2020, 04:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
OK, I do like the art, it is wonderful! Next, when will an ad agency figure out this is a new billboard for them to sell space on (or the silo owners)? Its going to happen!
I didn't know grain elevator art was a thing, but after we saw this one, I searched it out on the internet, and found other examples in S. Dakota, and of course Australia. I think BigDave is right that advertisers are going to figure this out too. The City raised the money for this artwork through private donations; it took two months to paint.

01-06-2020, 05:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you say COKE or Pepsi??? I am reminded of the Mail Pouch Tobacco ads on the side of barns.