Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Military vehicle
Lens: DA 18-55 (@18mm) Camera: Pentax K10D Photo Location: Old Reynella South Australia ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: Gary63, 01-06-2020, 01:14 AM

This was one of the military trucks on show at the Festival of History at Old Reynella SA on the 9th&10th of march 2013

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 270
01-06-2020, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #2
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like the GMC CCKW, the original "Duece and a Half," that was replaced by the M35. Never seen one of these in person, though the M35 is everywhere. M35 started being produced in the mid 50's, so these were all phased out probably by the late 60s, maybe early 70s.

EDIT> Just realized you're in Aus. So I could be completely wrong. Does look like a GMC logo on the front though, so guessing I'm right on the model. And while the US phased them out in that time frame, it's quite possible that we sent them along to allies and they could still be in use. (I know the National Guard in the US is still using M35s despite the army no longer using them. And some old WWII bombers were still being used as cargo planes in less developed areas well into the 90s even.) I'm not a huge military buff, nor know a lot about military vehicles, but the knowledge I do have tends to be centered around American vehicles.

Last edited by Gorgarath; 01-06-2020 at 10:06 AM.
01-06-2020, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I like that photo and not just because of the great subject matter...a vintage 'Jimmy' military truck...but also the way you photographed it...the B+W, the effects, etc...are well done. I see you've used a K10D...I have one...and these are very rugged, excellent photographic devices.
01-06-2020, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the nice comments :-) Here is a front view of the GMC truck. It has been restored so well that it looked like a new one.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-06-2020, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Another great view. I like the low angle looking upward. It heightens (no pun intended) the size of this old GMC military truck.

I don't know for sure, but I think that stylized GMC badge on the front maybe what GMC used in the '30's and '40's on their truck. Kind of a Art Nouveau look...popular in the 1930's.

The B+W rendition you used in both pictures is very appealing. Was that a post process computer program or was it directly from your K10D's B+W filter ?
01-06-2020, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #6
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I don't know for sure, but I think that stylized GMC badge on the front maybe what GMC used in the '30's and '40's on their truck. Kind of a Art Nouveau look...popular in the 1930's.
Quick search:
The name CCKW comes from GMC model nomenclature:

"C", designed in 1941
"C", conventional cab
"K", all-wheel drive
"W", dual rear axles
"X", experimental chassis / non-standard wheelbase (first 13,188 units)

Find it somewhat funny they kept the stylized badge for the military vehicles, but it was probably cheaper to use the existing stamps/molds/whatever than changing it. And then once the Army places a contract, it's something like a minimum of a 10 years and requires everything to stay (mostly) the same (there are variants and sometimes backwards compatible upgrades) so they don't have to stock multiple parts.

Does give it a rather unique and cool look though.

(Also, not really sure how it gets a designation of designed in 1941 when the Army started buying them in 1939?)
01-06-2020, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
Quick search:
The name CCKW comes from GMC model nomenclature:

"C", designed in 1941
"C", conventional cab
"K", all-wheel drive
"W", dual rear axles
"X", experimental chassis / non-standard wheelbase (first 13,188 units)

Find it somewhat funny they kept the stylized badge for the military vehicles, but it was probably cheaper to use the existing stamps/molds/whatever than changing it. And then once the Army places a contract, it's something like a minimum of a 10 years and requires everything to stay (mostly) the same (there are variants and sometimes backwards compatible upgrades) so they don't have to stock multiple parts.

Does give it a rather unique and cool look though.

(Also, not really sure how it gets a designation of designed in 1941 when the Army started buying them in 1939?)
Thanks for that info and the code breakdown. Years ago my family and I were in the Wisconsin Dells for a holiday. Beautiful area, but I digress. We went on a Duck, which as you know is a WW2 era amphibious craft, originally designed to transport troops, supplies, etc on water and land. Great ride in the water, we all enjoyed it, our young kids especially.

I don't know for sure but I have heard somewhere that the Duck was based on the GMC 2 1/2 ton Deuce ?
01-06-2020, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #8
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The DUKW, or Duck, was a version of the CCKW. Don't recall much more than that. (Only remember that much because I noticed it when looking up when the CCKW was made.) Believe the M35 also had an amphibious version as well, but I can't recall.

I've never gotten to ride in an amphibious vehicle, though I've seen some over the years. Want to say maybe down in the south there was a tour company that used them when I was a kid. I've always thought they were pretty darn cool.

01-07-2020, 12:08 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These photos are so terrific, I was about to make you an offer thinking I was in the Buy/Sell Section. Nice work in Black & White.

TT
01-07-2020, 01:01 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
These photos are so terrific, I was about to make you an offer thinking I was in the Buy/Sell Section. Nice work in Black & White.

TT
Thanks very much :-) I am really glad you like them :-)