Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Coal Storage
Lens: SMC Pentax-A 1:1.7 50mm Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Austria ISO: 2500 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: othar, 01-07-2020, 09:33 AM

Coal storage for the "Steyrtalbahn" (railway) in Upper Austria.

Views: 368
01-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Coal storage for the "Steyrtalbahn" (railway) in Upper Austria.
In the US, even in dryer parts of the country, coal for locomotives is usually stored indoors. The only outdoors storage of coal I have seen around here is for power plants. In 1978, during a coal miners strike, Indiana University {which then used coal to heat their buildings} dug so deep into their pile as to find some that was barely burnable it had been outside so long.
01-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In the US, even in dryer parts of the country, coal for locomotives is usually stored indoors. The only outdoors storage of coal I have seen around here is for power plants. In 1978, during a coal miners strike, Indiana University {which then used coal to heat their buildings} dug so deep into their pile as to find some that was barely burnable it had been outside so long.
Maybe indoorstorage was full. I also don't have a glue how long it takes them to work through that pile so maybe it doesn't stay outside long enough to get humid enough to cause a problem. I just liked the view when walking by.