Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Canoes at rest
Posted By: JMR, 10-23-2008, 03:10 PM

Canoes resting by the lake at Arrowhead Provincial Park. This image is an Orton double exposure.

The second image I will let you guess at, but it is a straight image with a twist adjusted for contrast and brightness and taken in misty conditions- hence the dark-like quality.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 10-26-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Views: 1,711
10-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
jeffkpotter

These are very sophisticated and painterly. Nice style!
10-24-2008, 05:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool effect. (Forgive my ignorance, but what is an Orton Double exposure?)
10-24-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the first one quite a bit and it might look very good printed on canvas. Beautiful scene and light.

The second, not so much. It looks like one of those shots taken from a speeding cars on the highway.

10-24-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yep #1 has an oil painting look indeed - great effect and the colors are very good.
10-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote
Cool effect. (Forgive my ignorance, but what is an Orton Double exposure?)
Hello Dave. First I would like to say that I saw your site and you have some wonderful images there.

Orton is photographic technique developed for slide film by someone named Orton. You take two images as follows:

1) one in focus but overexposed by two stops;
2) you take a second image in register (use tripod) of the same scene but this time out of focus (to taste, works best completely out of focus) and one stop overexposed;
3) You combine and sandwich the two images and rephotograph them. You will get surreallistic effect.
4) today in any photo digital program you do all the above and then overlay (superimpose on one another) the images and adjust to taste.

That's pretty much it. A warning: it will not make bad photos good. Use your creativity. That should be no problem for you judging by some of your excellent images on Dbase.

JMR