Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Dormant Volcanos.
Lens: HD DA 55-300 PLM Camera: K-70 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F10 
Posted By: DW58, 01-08-2020, 08:45 AM

High in the Oregon Cascades.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 501
01-08-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
High in the Oregon Cascades.
Really nice view - although someone will 'ruin' it for a while if he stops being dormant.
01-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Beautiful Vista. I like that you can still see the frozen lava rivers among the trees.

01-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It almost looks like the one on the left may have had a lateral eruption like Mt. St. Helens. I got to visit Mt. St. Helens 20 years after it erupted. It still looked like a lunar landscape! Entire ridges with trees laying down like matchsticks. The Johnston Ridge Observatory is at some elevation. Unfortunately, I had not put a UV filter on my film camera lens, and most of the shots came out fogged! I was kicking myself for weeks.

01-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful view!
01-08-2020, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Very gneiss shot! Although you ought to take my comments with a grain of basalt... <grin>
01-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Really nice view - although someone will 'ruin' it for a while if he stops being dormant.
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Beautiful Vista. I like that you can still see the frozen lava rivers among the trees.
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
It almost looks like the one on the left may have had a lateral eruption like Mt. St. Helens. I got to visit Mt. St. Helens 20 years after it erupted. It still looked like a lunar landscape! Entire ridges with trees laying down like matchsticks. The Johnston Ridge Observatory is at some elevation. Unfortunately, I had not put a UV filter on my film camera lens, and most of the shots came out fogged! I was kicking myself for weeks.
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Wonderful view!
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Very gneiss shot! Although you ought to take my comments with a grain of basalt... <grin>
Thanks all for your comments. We were just driving through and unfortunately got to this area mid afternoon so not the best light for a landscape.

01-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Thanks all for your comments. We were just driving through and unfortunately got to this area mid afternoon so not the best light for a landscape.
I find sometimes that is the way traveling is; you have to take the sun angle you are given and work with it. In this case it might have been better if you could plan everything, but it is a perfectly good shot, well worth keeping. Do you really think CNN would reject that image if one of those volcanoes 'blew its top' tonight and this was the best image they could find???
01-08-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot You captured it well.
01-08-2020, 09:14 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I find sometimes that is the way traveling is; you have to take the sun angle you are given and work with it. In this case it might have been better if you could plan everything, but it is a perfectly good shot, well worth keeping. Do you really think CNN would reject that image if one of those volcanoes 'blew its top' tonight and this was the best image they could find???
What's CNN?

QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Nice shot You captured it well.
Thanks foxandcrow.
01-08-2020, 10:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice view of these volcanos. It looks like it would be a rough hike up through those lava fields.
01-09-2020, 07:45 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Very nice view of these volcanos. It looks like it would be a rough hike up through those lava fields.
Thanks. Agreed. Would not be my first choice for a leisurely stroll in the woods.