Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Accident
Camera: Pentax Q-7 
Posted By: reh321, 01-08-2020, 12:11 PM

When coming back from Florida in November, our last stop was in Lexington KY. I didn't see see the beginning of this, but I hear that a 'box' truck cut off a minivan. When the driver of the minivan pressed her brakes to avoid the truck, she lost control. My first awareness of the situation was when the minivan came across the median strip almost at highway speed and then played pin balls with the two cars maybe ten seconds ahead of me. I pressed our brakes {we have ABS} and headed for the shoulder, while my wife called 911. Our blue Fiesta is trapped between the ambulance {not needed - fortunately no one was injured} and fire truck, until a deputy sheriff allowed us to leave.

Attached Images

Views: 793
01-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Good thing no one was hurt. It will make a good story at family gatherings and the picture is proof!

01-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Good thing no one was hurt. It will make a good story at family gatherings and the picture is proof!
Yes, especially since the minivan tracks {under back wheels of the ambulance} show how incredibly close we came to being involved!!
01-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yikes, I'm glad nobody was hurt.

01-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Yikes, I'm glad nobody was hurt.
So were we, but being that close still affects my driving. I have always not worried about opposing lanes, but now it seems I cannot trust anyone.
01-08-2020, 12:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So were we, but being that close still affects my driving. I have always not worried about opposing lanes, but now it seems I cannot trust anyone.
Yeah, I can imagine. Close calls like that aren't good for one's confidence, but unfortunately you really can't know for sure what other people will do.
01-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Yeah, I can imagine. Close calls like that aren't good for one's confidence, but unfortunately you really can't know for sure what other people will do.
and apparently the guy most at fault - the guy driving the 'box' truck - was not involved .... at least not until his insurance company called him and asked what was going on.

01-08-2020, 01:08 PM   #8
GRB
Pentaxian

I does emphasize the need to continually be aware of all of the traffic in your vicinity. Head on collisions are particularly ugly, which this was apparently close to being.
01-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GRB Quote
I does emphasize the need to continually be aware of all of the traffic in your vicinity. Head on collisions are particularly ugly, which this was apparently close to being.
Fortunately the van had turned sideways by the time it hit {literally} our lanes; in fact, when it first entered our lanes, I thought it was cross-traffic that had failed to stop. My thought as I took the photo was that the median strip was more decorative than useful, so perhaps the speed limit should be slower?
01-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Certainly makes one think.
01-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! Glad nobody was injured.
01-08-2020, 08:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I've seen incidents where cars catapult off dividers, flying into oncoming traffic in the lane over. Gotta be aware of literally everyone.
01-08-2020, 08:49 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Certainly makes one think.
Thank you for responding.

Yes, I was thinking very fast for those few moments, and then I thought about it all the way home .... in fact, I still think about this moment periodically.
01-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
Wow! Glad nobody was injured.
Thank you for your comment.

Yes, as hard as cars were bouncing off each other for a few seconds, it truly is miraculous that ambulance wasn't needed,
01-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I've seen incidents where cars catapult off dividers, flying into oncoming traffic in the lane over. Gotta be aware of literally everyone.
Thank you for your comment,

Yes, I have seen cars act in amazing ways, seemingly more than a person can react to.