Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
10 Likes  
Abandoned settlements and mines.
Posted By: mkgd1, 01-09-2020, 06:54 PM

I could not find a recent thread on this subject. There are hundreds of abandoned mines, ghost towns etc. across the country and especially here in the west. Some you can drive right up to and some you need serious off road capability. I have many pictures of such places, taken with my bridge camera or phone, before I returned to the Pentax fold in December.
I will start this off with a picture I took with my new (to me) K-3 a couple of weeks ago.
It is an abandoned settlement and gas station in the Union Pass between Kingman & Bullhead city Arizona. It was homesteaded in 1897 by Jonathan Draper Richardson and his wife Victoria, on the site of an old army post. They ran this until their death in 1935 and 1940. The business was operated by their descendants until it was bypassed by the new highway 68 in the late nineteen eighties.
Post your pictures and stories here.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Not a Number; 02-04-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Views: 7,377
10-24-2020, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
I grew up in a coal mining town in Yorkshire, several uncles were coal miners and most of the men in my wife's family. I also have a few "cousin Jacks" in my family tree. I never felt the desire to go down't pit myself. I do however find the history of mining fascinating.
One of my wife's grandmothers was from Knaresborough, Yorkshire. She immigrated to Canada around 1910 or so.

We've visited Yorkshire, a beautiful place.

10-26-2020, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Inyo mine in Death Valley NP, revisited Oct 2020
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-26-2020, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice, warm light of October in the desert. Really nice colors.

Regards
10-27-2020, 05:23 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Nice, warm light of October in the desert. Really nice colors.

Regards
Thanks, it was a lovely afternoon. Just as we were about to leave, the wind kicked up to about 38 mph throwing swirls of dust about and crashing the visibility

10-27-2020, 05:37 PM - 2 Likes   #95
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This cabin, situated in Ash Meadows national wildlife reserve Nevada, was built in the late nineteenth century by Jack Longstreet (1838-1928) last of the desert frontiersmen and gun slingers. It was built into the side of a spring mound with a cave through the back wall to provide natural cooling in the desert heat.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-28-2020, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Jack Longstreet's cabin for me is a new bit of fascinating Nevada lore thanks to your post and photos . Much obliged sir !
10-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #97
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Jack Longstreet's cabin for me is a new bit of fascinating Nevada lore thanks to your post and photos . Much obliged sir !
He was an interesting guy. Lots of stories on the internet about his escapades, including a biography. He is buried in Belmont about 200 miles north of the cabin.