Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Thrilling Encounter on the Trail
Lens: Pentax DA* 50-135mm Camera: K-3 II Photo Location: Ottawa ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: c.a.m, 01-10-2020, 02:01 PM

I was thrilled to see this guy, and he was patient enough to pose! He was accompanied by three does, so I guess rutting season is still active even this late in the year. Note the relatively light snow cover.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-10-2020 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Correct genre
Views: 465
01-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #2
GRB
Pentaxian

Nice and cooperative White Tail. I once had a Mule Deer charge me during the rut near Watson Lake, BC. For his effort, he was relocated to Alaska.
01-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GRB Quote
Nice and cooperative White Tail. I once had a Mule Deer charge me during the rut near Watson Lake, BC. For his effort, he was relocated to Alaska.
Thanks for your comment. Several winters ago, I witnessed a couple of bucks chasing five or so does through the bush -- it was quite the aggressive scene. I think this guy was more interested in one of the does than he was in me.

Anyways, I was happy to get a shot of the antlers against the dark background. This was approaching 3:00 PM, so I was loosing light fairly fast (December 22nd).

- Craig
01-10-2020, 06:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GRB Quote
I once had a Mule Deer charge me during the rut near Watson Lake, BC. For his effort, he was relocated to Alaska.
Good lord, that's over a thousand kilometers. Couldn't you fill your freezer with something closer?

01-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Anyways, I was happy to get a shot of the antlers against the dark background.
A very good capture! Those antlers really do show nicely against the dark background.
01-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyways, I was happy to get a shot of the antlers against the dark background. This was approaching 3:00 PM, so I was loosing light fairly fast (December 22nd).
Is that why you converted the picture to greyscale, to make the deer stand out against the background? It's an excellent shot (figuratively speaking, of course) and he must have been fairly close.
01-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was thrilled to see this guy, and he was patient enough to pose! He was accompanied by three does, so I guess rutting season is still active even this late in the year. Note the relatively light snow cover.

- Craig

Great image .

01-10-2020, 07:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Good lord, that's over a thousand kilometers. Couldn't you fill your freezer with something closer?
LOL.

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
A very good capture! Those antlers really do show nicely against the dark background.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Is that why you converted the picture to greyscale, to make the deer stand out against the background? It's an excellent shot (figuratively speaking, of course) and he must have been fairly close.
I had a couple of reasons for converting to 'black and white'. The scene included several bright patches of sun rays amongst the background trees, which appeared as a distracting orange in the colour version. Also, most of the deer is a monochromatic light brown, so there's not much interesting colour there. I used a Kodak T-Max 100 emulation in RAWTherapee.

On this shot, the focal length is 122mm, so yes, I was fairly close. I had watched the deer for some time, staying quietly in my position behind a couple of trees. Of course, they certainly knew I was there!

- Craig
01-10-2020, 08:14 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Truly a brilliant shot. Well executed sir. Thnx so much for uploading.

TT
01-11-2020, 04:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Truly a brilliant shot. Well executed sir. Thnx so much for uploading.
Thanks so much for your kind comment!

- Craig