Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Ibises - A Rogue's Gallery
Lens: DA* 300/4 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Texas Sea Center ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Sailor, 01-11-2020, 07:25 AM

Here's a series of shots of Ibises I took at the Texas Sea Center last week. I haven't seen any of these characters around here in while, so I was delighted to come across a flock of 'em dominating a dead tree at the Center.

Jer

Top Gun:

The Boss:

Sidelong Glance:

Shy Ibis:

Out Front:

Feeling Ignored:

Views: 556
01-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Super shots Jer! It looks like they knew you were coming so they put on their best show
01-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Terrific series Jer. Beautiful contrast of colors between Ibis and blue sky.
01-11-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely done Ibis series , they were aware of you but weren't frightened .

01-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
GRB
Pentaxian

Nice composition and contrast
01-11-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Excellent wildlife shots. Photos I like all the photos. But in particular, there are two I have to count as my favourites.

One is ' Out Front' with the wonderful use of F stop which gave you such a sharp image of the Ibis in the foreground, and then a graduated bokeh to the purposely blurred subject in the background. Nicely done, and boy is that eye of the Ibis (foreground) ever sharp...using the eye of the subject as the focus point, paid off.

The other is 'Shy Ibis'...very appealing with the aspect of hide and seek of the bird.

Great job. Beautiful blue sky as background which really sets off a strong contrast, with the white of the Ibis'.
01-11-2020, 06:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Beautiful shots. I especially like the isolation in #5, but all are lovely. I was admiring the shots and had to scroll back up to see what lens you used. Not at all surprised! I have some ibis shots that I took in Florida with my DA*300. What a lens.

01-12-2020, 02:28 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful wildlife images. Thanks so much for sharing.

TT
01-12-2020, 02:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Very nice series. The first one is excellent.
01-12-2020, 02:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

nicely done, in particular #1, sharp and well composed
01-12-2020, 07:00 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Super shots Jer! It looks like they knew you were coming so they put on their best show
Hey Todd - thanks much. Both birds and the weather were very cooperative that day.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Terrific series Jer. Beautiful contrast of colors between Ibis and blue sky.
Thank you, Dave. I really enjoyed shooting this series.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Nicely done Ibis series , they were aware of you but weren't frightened .
My experience with ibises is that they're not to flighty and thus easier to photograph than some. I appreciate the nice words.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by GRB Quote
Nice composition and contrast
Thank you!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Excellent wildlife shots. Photos I like all the photos. But in particular, there are two I have to count as my favourites.

One is ' Out Front' with the wonderful use of F stop which gave you such a sharp image of the Ibis in the foreground, and then a graduated bokeh to the purposely blurred subject in the background. Nicely done, and boy is that eye of the Ibis (foreground) ever sharp...using the eye of the subject as the focus point, paid off.

The other is 'Shy Ibis'...very appealing with the aspect of hide and seek of the bird.

Great job. Beautiful blue sky as background which really sets off a strong contrast, with the white of the Ibis'.
Hey, Les, thanks much for you kind comments . . . . as always.

I'm partial to "Out Front", as well, for the reasons you mention. Luckily, the ibises were easy to get along with the day I shot these.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
Beautiful shots. I especially like the isolation in #5, but all are lovely. I was admiring the shots and had to scroll back up to see what lens you used. Not at all surprised! I have some ibis shots that I took in Florida with my DA*300. What a lens.
Thanks very much! I've had the DA* 300 for around three years, and I can't say enough good about it. Some folks find that focusing of the lens is indecisive, but that's not been my experience with my copy coupled with my K-1 - the first combination of telephoto and AF body that has given me consistently good results with catch BIF.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Wonderful wildlife images. Thanks so much for sharing.

TT
I really appreciate your kind words, Tony - as always.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
Very nice series. The first one is excellent.
Thanks much!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Paris Quote
nicely done, in particular #1, sharp and well composed
Thank you - glad you like 'em.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 01-12-2020 at 07:43 AM.
01-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

This is a great series Jerry! The perfect blue sky makes the Ibis jump out at you. They are all great images.
01-12-2020, 05:18 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
This is a great series Jerry! The perfect blue sky makes the Ibis jump out at you. They are all great images.
Thanks so much for the very nice words!

Jer