Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
13 Likes  #1
First Image from My Observatory - The Rosette Nebula
Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 01-11-2020, 01:06 PM

I completed (so far anyway, these could always use more data), my first image from my new observatory!

It sure is nice to sit inside and image, especially in the biting winter winds. I started this image a few days ago, on a night that had 70+ m.p.h. gusts. In fact, just up the road at Carter Lake, they recorded a couple of gusts up over 100 m.p.h.!

No problem in my dome though. The wind didn't get inside at all and I was able to image 5 minute exposures with the stars staying nice and round. I am just a little pleased with my dome .

Anyway, last night I was able to capture a little SII data on the Rosetta nebula to go with the Ha and OIII data I had before.

I only got 10 images at 300 seconds of SII before clouds rolled in, but I wanted to see how it all looked together. I will definitely be getting more data as this image is still too grainy.

The first is in the "Hubble Palette" where the Sulfur II is red, the Hydrogen Alpha is green and the Oxygen II is blue. The second is in HSO Palette, where the Hydrogen is red, the Sulfur is green and the Oxygen is blue.

Views: 661
01-11-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What spectacular images! I’d love to hear more about your observatory.....
01-11-2020, 01:53 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
What spectacular images! I’d love to hear more about your observatory.....
Here is a build thread: Starting In on Buiding a Dome! - Observatories - Cloudy Nights

And a few photos.

01-11-2020, 10:52 PM   #4
GRB
Pentaxian

That is what one calls dedication. Nice work.

01-11-2020, 11:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Amazing! Glad you didn't blow away.
01-12-2020, 02:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

congrats for your observatory and for this excellent narrowband shot of the Rosette nebula !

Btw did you find a way to adapt K-mount lenses to you ZWO camera ?

Dan
01-12-2020, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
I completed (so far anyway, these could always use more data), my first image from my new observatory!

It sure is nice to sit inside and image, especially in the biting winter winds. I started this image a few days ago, on a night that had 70+ m.p.h. gusts. In fact, just up the road at Carter Lake, they recorded a couple of gusts up over 100 m.p.h.!

No problem in my dome though. The wind didn't get inside at all and I was able to image 5 minute exposures with the stars staying nice and round. I am just a little pleased with my dome .

Anyway, last night I was able to capture a little SII data on the Rosetta nebula to go with the Ha and OIII data I had before.

I only got 10 images at 300 seconds of SII before clouds rolled in, but I wanted to see how it all looked together. I will definitely be getting more data as this image is still too grainy.

The first is in the "Hubble Palette" where the Sulfur II is red, the Hydrogen Alpha is green and the Oxygen II is blue. The second is in HSO Palette, where the Hydrogen is red, the Sulfur is green and the Oxygen is blue.

I have no idea what most of the technical talk means, but love the photos.

I read a lot of SF, and when immersed in such works, take the background space travel for granted. But looking at images like these, and trying to imagine a real spaceship with people in it out there - well, credibility flies out the window!

01-12-2020, 06:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your work hard and play hard ! Your images Rock . TFS
01-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you blow these up, or is the resolution a spoiler? I have a friend who transforms her husbands photos into large oil paintings. Incredible!

Cheers,
Loyd
01-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to keep reminding myself the colour in a Hubble image (or other palettes) isn't exactly what we would see if our eyes were up to it, but these are excellent images! More power to your elbow!
01-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a build thread: Starting In on Buiding a Dome! - Observatories - Cloudy Nights

And a few photos.

Thank you for the backstory. Fascinating!