Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
I Caught a Shifty Character . . . . .
Lens: DFA 50/2.8 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: My Garage ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Sailor, 01-16-2020, 09:18 AM

. . . . . lurking around my garage.

Jer

Views: 583
01-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Shifty...or .....shiftless...as I don't see any visible means of 'support' around this character...in fact on close examination....it looks completely 'unattached' !!

Nice pix, BTW.... and it takes me back to my younger days of both driving and vehicle ownership. I was fortunate to have vehicles from age 16 on and from that time until I reached the grand old age of around 31...every single vehicle I owned and drove.... and.... there were a fair number of motorcycles and 4 wheeled vehicles...had one thing in common...they all had manual transmissions. I did love shifting and not just the activity and skill required...but also the vehicle control, a manual transmission could effect.

Since that time, all vehicles except my two motorcycles (which I still have) have automatics. Nothing wrong with a good automatic, but I do every so miss the ability to control the engine rpm's and enjoyment of shifting gears.

Automatics came my way, primarily due to the daily traffic gridlock when I was working and compounding that is it is not easy nowadays, to get a standard...they\re not available in many vehicles...at least in the North American market.

Excellent bokeh in that pix...
01-17-2020, 07:29 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Shifty...or .....shiftless...as I don't see any visible means of 'support' around this character...in fact on close examination....it looks completely 'unattached' !!

Nice pix, BTW.... and it takes me back to my younger days of both driving and vehicle ownership. I was fortunate to have vehicles from age 16 on and from that time until I reached the grand old age of around 31...every single vehicle I owned and drove.... and.... there were a fair number of motorcycles and 4 wheeled vehicles...had one thing in common...they all had manual transmissions. I did love shifting and not just the activity and skill required...but also the vehicle control, a manual transmission could effect.

Since that time, all vehicles except my two motorcycles (which I still have) have automatics. Nothing wrong with a good automatic, but I do every so miss the ability to control the engine rpm's and enjoyment of shifting gears.

Automatics came my way, primarily due to the daily traffic gridlock when I was working and compounding that is it is not easy nowadays, to get a standard...they\re not available in many vehicles...at least in the North American market.

Excellent bokeh in that pix...
Hey Les - thanks for the nice words.

I grew up driving cars with manual transmissions (you may remember I learned to drive in a Morris Minor), so my first car (i.e. a car that belonged only to me) had a 4-speed ('64.5 Mustang) as did its successor ('67 Cougar), which I owned when Connie and were married in '68. For a variety of reasons our next two cars (a '69 Mach I and a '71 Camaro) were automatics, but we re-entered the manual world after moving to Boston in early '73 when we bought a well-used '68 Malibu convertible - which amazingly was equipped with a big six and three on the tree - as a second car. From that time forward we always had at least one car in the garage with a manual tranny . . . . . until early 2016 when I traded my Boxster S for my current 911, which is equipped with a dual clutch transmission (PDK). Although I love using a manual, I honestly have no desire to switch back - these dual clutch gear boxes are soooooo good. My (now departed) BMW M4 and 135i also had dual-clutch systems - so I knew the potential of these systems when I traded for my Carrera.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 01-17-2020 at 01:28 PM. Reason: I'm a dumb old man!
01-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I grew up driving cars with manual transmissions (you may remember I learned to drive in a Morris Minor), so my first car (i.e. a car that belonged only to me) had a 4-speed ('64.5 Mustang) as did its successor ('67 Cougar), which I owned when Connie and were married in '68. For a variety of reasons our next two cars (a '69 Mach I and a '71 Camaro) were automatics, but we re-entered the manual world after moving to Boston in early '73 when we bought a well-used '68 Malibu convertible - which amazingly was equipped with a big six and three on the tree - as a second car. From that time forward we always had at least one car in the garage with a manual tranny . . . . . until early 2016 when I traded my Boxster S for my current 911, which is equipped with a dual clutch transmission (PDK). Although I love using a manual, I honestly have no desire to switch back - these dual clutch gear boxes are soooooo good. My (now departed) BMW M4 and 135i also had dual-clutch systems - so I new the potential of these systems when I traded for my Carrera.
Very nice shot Jer, and a great lineup of cars you have possessed! Growing up in rural Montana it was Ford pick-ups for me. My dad wouldn't let us get near a Chevy, although we pulled plenty of them out of snowbanks and ditches Now I have a brother-in-law who is an engineer at the GM Tech Center so I switched brand loyalty to keep peace in the family

01-17-2020, 01:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Very nice shot Jer, and a great lineup of cars you have possessed! Growing up in rural Montana it was Ford pick-ups for me. My dad wouldn't let us get near a Chevy, although we pulled plenty of them out of snowbanks and ditches Now I have a brother-in-law who is an engineer at the GM Tech Center so I switched brand loyalty to keep peace in the family
You made the right decision.
01-18-2020, 07:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You made the right decision.
Do I detect a bit of brand loyalty?

I'll be going to the Houston Auto Show next week, and - among other things - I hope to see a C-8 Corvette in the flesh. I don't lug a camera around at this show anymore, since I hop in and out of cars so frequently, but I'll be using my iPhone to photograph the "good stuff."

Jer
01-18-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Do I detect a bit of brand loyalty?

Jer,

Yes indeedy do.

In that old, no quarter given and perennial North American battle, between Ford vs Chevy enthusiasts, I must come clean and admit that I chose sides early in life, and that choice was...Chevy. I made the momentous decision about 1959. My parents had just traded in their '58 Ford Ranch Wagon in on a new '59 Chevy Parkwood (Bel Air) wagon. I was 10 years old and although I liked the '58 Ford with it's 292 V8 and that Ford V8 rumble...the Chevy won out for me.

I've had a lot of different makes over the years...VW, Volvo, Mercury, Ford, Olds, Buick, etc...but there have been quite a few Chevies. Currently we have two cars...a large 6 passenger Buick sedan and a '15 Chevy Impala...the current style, with the optional 3.6 liter DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder V6. It has a 7000 rpm redline, 305 hp and I've been impressed with the acceleration, reliability, comfort and advanced engine technology for a work a day sedan. We are looking at other vehicles now, not sure if we will stay with GM, but looking at GM (Cadillac, Buick), Lexus sedans and Nissan (Maxima) or possibly an SUV, like a Traverse or a Blazer. Or we may just keep what we have for the time being. Both my wife and I prefer a large sedan...I have long legs and an old 'hockey' knee injury that requires a lot of legroom and shoulder space.

I'll be going to the Houston Auto Show next week, and - among other things - I hope to see a C-8 Corvette in the flesh. I don't lug a camera around at this show anymore, since I hop in and out of cars so frequently, but I'll be using my iPhone to photograph the "good stuff."

Jer
Looking forward to see some of your auto show pics. That new Corvette C-8 really seems quite an exceptional car. I haven't seen one yet, but have read about it and so far it seems quite impressive. A few days ago I bought a new Pentax 24-70 lens, which I hope to use for upcoming outdoor car shows, which start around May up here. Nice combo the K1 and 24-70, but it is a heavy beast. Last year I found myself taking my small Ricoh GR ll out as my car show camera. There is lots to recommend a small camera....primarily reduced size and weight. I have a feeling, eventually the GR ll will become my regular car show camera.

Les

01-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm speechless and that is a miracle
01-19-2020, 07:10 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looking forward to see some of your auto show pics. That new Corvette C-8 really seems quite an exceptional car. I haven't seen one yet, but have read about it and so far it seems quite impressive. A few days ago I bought a new Pentax 24-70 lens, which I hope to use for upcoming outdoor car shows, which start around May up here. Nice combo the K1 and 24-70, but it is a heavy beast. Last year I found myself taking my small Ricoh GR ll out as my car show camera. There is lots to recommend a small camera....primarily reduced size and weight. I have a feeling, eventually the GR ll will become my regular car show camera.

Les
Like you and your family, we've owned an eclectic group of cars during our over 50 years of marriage: Fords and a Merc, Chevies, Toyotas, Mazdas, a Honda, an Acura, a Nissan, BMWs and Porsches. I don't know what'll be next, but it'll probably replace my 911. I'm interested in the new, 992 generation of the Porsche 911 - perhaps an all-wheel drive coupe, and - of course - the Corvette really interests me. Also, at age 73, maybe I should try something very different - like a BMW M5 or Mercedes AMG E53. On the other hand, like you - I may do nothing for a while. I love all three cars in the garage and all are very low mileage vehicles, so I may just enjoy what I have a bit longer.

You'll love that K-1/24-70 combo - it should be terrific for car shows. I use my K-1/28-105 for all kinds of things, but it works especially well for photographing cars at medium to short range. I use it at concours and similar shows where the shots are meant to be real keepers, but for things like the Houston Auto Show I've found my phone to well suited to the task.

Anyway, have fun with your new lens!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I'm speechless and that is a miracle
At least, you're not shiftless . . . . . . Thanks for indulging my silliness, EM.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 01-19-2020 at 07:41 AM.