Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Spinning Christmas Trees
Lens: Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 Camera: Pentax K-7 Photo Location: Portage, PA ISO: 125 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: Gorgarath, 01-18-2020, 10:20 PM

A treat for Whovians. Might not be Weaping Angels, but they can still inspire some fear...

My sister got my parents a spinning base for their Christmas tree a couple years ago. They went on a vacation, so their tree is still up. I had to go over to upgrade their PC for them before they get back and I thought I'd try my hand at some long exposure photos figuring it would make some cool light trails. I think I was right.

I adjusted the shutter speed for different lengths and then did interval shooting to let it grab the tree at different spots along its rotation to see what would turn up. Then I tried a different shutter speed and repeated. Then did a 3rd time. I like the ones that happened as it was getting dark out as it had a nice shade outside the window and the ones after it got dark. The ones while it was still fairly light out turned out OK, but didn't seem to have quite as nice of an effect.

Here's 2 that I thought turned out rather nicely.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Views: 488
01-18-2020, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #2

What about putting the Christmas tree on the iRobot and try your long exposure and see the results (or the mess )?

Last edited by mhoule418; 01-19-2020 at 07:11 PM.
01-19-2020, 09:02 AM   #3
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Haha, that would end up being a mess in multiple ways.