Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A few more from BBB ...................
Posted By: Damn Brit, 10-24-2008, 03:12 PM

............ no, not the Blu Blux Blan, but Berkeley Botanical Gardens. You may have seen a previous post of mine a couple of weeks ago with shots from the same day. Here are a few more. CnC always welcome.

WARNING, one shot of plant auto erotica.
All taken with Voigtlander 58 Nokton 1.4

'Kinda Blue'
LV here; https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/5983/1__IGP6364_1_1.jpg

'Succulently Spiralitic'
LV here; https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/5983/1__IGP6350_1_1.jpg

'Bokeh Lynch Mob'
LV here; https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/5983/1__IGP6239_1.jpg

' 'Green' Lightbulb?'
LV here; https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/5983/1__IGP6251_1_1.jpg

'Sensual Stump'
LV here; https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/5983/1__IGP6403_1.jpg

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-24-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Views: 2,636
10-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
JMR
Veteran Member

I very much like the second spiral image, outstanding.

JMR
10-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Yeah the second picture is great. Looks like CGI.
10-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
agree..
'Succulently Spiralitic'

looks really ouch.. don't touch.

10-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
I very much like the second spiral image, outstanding.

JMR
Thank you sir.

QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by devisor Quote
agree..
'Succulently Spiralitic'

looks really ouch.. don't touch.
It's ok, no spines.
10-24-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed - the pattern on #2 is mesmerizing!!!

Gary, I hope all is well with you?

Regards,
Marc
10-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Igilligan

Hey Gary

I am all about the spiral...

But I looked at the larger version of "Kinda Blue" and boy howdy, you really have to see that one large to appreciate what is happening in that background. The smaller size does not do it justice.... Very nice

10-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed!!!! Check out the larger image

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

But I looked at the larger version of "Kinda Blue" and boy howdy, you really have to see that one large to appreciate what is happening in that background. The smaller size does not do it justice.... Very nice
Gus is on the money on this comment (not that my opinion matters... ). Everyone, please do yourself a favor and check out the larger version!

Regards,
Marc
10-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Love the spirals. Amazing how many spirals we can find in nature.
10-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
jeffkpotter

I really love the creative titles you've given these. It shows a poetic side, and compliments the photos well. ...Spiralitic, Bokeh Lynch Mob, and especially "Sensual Stump, are my favorites.

I'm going to form a photographer's street gang and call it "The Bokeh Lynch Mob."
10-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Agreed - the pattern on #2 is mesmerizing!!!

Gary, I hope all is well with you?

Regards,
Marc
Thanks Marc, I'm on the mend thank you. I think the silver lining has been that being away from work has enabled me to improve my photographic skills (hopefully).

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

Thanks Gus, I was pleased how it came out. I wouldn't have discarded it it but I did pass over it a couple of times before deciding to work on it a little.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Gus is on the money on this comment (not that my opinion matters... ). Everyone, please do yourself a favor and check out the larger version!

Regards,
Marc
Thanks again Marc especially for the thumbs up on that shot. And yes, your opinion does count, a great deal IMO. You have reached a high level in a couple of years with dedication and hard work. You have been published, won awards, done a couple of radio interviews I seem to remember. And yet you remain humble, are a helpful member of the forum and are very forthcoming with details when you post shots, technique etc.

There, now you can be embarrassed.

No BS Marc, I meant what I said, I just thought it was funny, it's not many people who get 'outed' for being a nice guy.

QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
Love the spirals. Amazing how many spirals we can find in nature.
Thanks, yeah it is pretty amazing, science has been learning a lot in the past few years by studying structure and geometrics in the natural world.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
I really love the creative titles you've given these. It shows a poetic side, and compliments the photos well. ...Spiralitic, Bokeh Lynch Mob, and especially "Sensual Stump, are my favorites.

I'm going to form a photographer's street gang and call it "The Bokeh Lynch Mob."
Thanks for the comments Jeff. I'll be in your gang but you have to get yourself a Nokton first. Have you ever heard of an English band called Ozric Tentacles? Check them out and look at some of their album and song titles, as well as listening of course. They are my inspiration for a lot of my title giving.

Gus and Marc, thanks for giving a shout for the larger versions.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-24-2008 at 05:41 PM.
10-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

great work Gary!!! The spiral rocks for sure!!! Hope your feeling better.
10-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Thanks Marc, I'm on the mend thank you. I think the silver lining has been that being away from work has enabled me to improve my photographic skills (hopefully).
I am glad to hear that news... what happened Gary? I remember something going on, but not the details... sorry. (if it's OK to ask, or offline via PM is fine too - not prying, just asking.)

Thanks again Marc especially for the thumbs up on that shot. And yes, your opinion does count, a great deal IMO. You have reached a high level in a couple of years with dedication and hard work. You have been published, won awards, done a couple of radio interviews I seem to remember. And yet you remain humble, are a helpful member of the forum and are very forthcoming with details when you post shots, technique etc.

There, now you can be embarrassed.
Dang, this is almost humiliation... most certainly embarrassing... (only one radio interview, although I suspect another will happen in the future)... I cannot believe you made me misty eyed with all the compliments - that is very touching and humbling - thank you. On a serious note, everyone I speak to (without an attitude of course - I have no place for that) reminds me of my roots every time. That's what keeps me so motivated - to show folks what the dedication and hard work can reap results, regardless of the camera or lens used.

Little story you might like... a "true confessions" situation:

My wife: "Did you know Marc has a mistress?"
Friend: "OMG!! Not Marc???!! (staring back at her in disbelief...)
My wife: "Yes, I know who she is too -
her name is 'Photography'..."

Luckily she loves my work, or I'd be in the dog house.... Good news is that same friend really eye-balled a print of mine today - she loves the colors. It's the sunrise I took in Texas with the K10D + DA 50-200 - the windmill in the foreground, and lots of cloud detail. I was showing her the prints that are going up to decorate the new cabin on the ranch. I am guessing a 16x20 print will be ordered.

I have two excellent images of the Indian antelope (Nilgai) that I will send with the order. They are a couple of gratis 4x6 images that I am sending. This is to show the ranch owners some of the images I took during the competition, but were not submitted. I am hoping it will pique their interest for more sales.
According to the ranch owner's niece, evidently they have NO good images of the Nilgai at all - which is great for me!!! We've discussed an online set of contact sheets just today, and I also offered them a private online gallery for future sales.

BTW, Nilgai are incredibly difficult to photograph, let alone hunt. They will flee immediately if they spot you or even smell you, even if you are a few hundred feet away. Position and camouflage is everything.

No BS Marc, I meant what I said, I just thought it was funny, it's not many people who get 'outed' for being a nice guy.

Gus and Marc, thanks for giving a shout for the larger versions.
My honor Gary, and dang I've definitely been "outed"...

OK, I'm going to slink off into the living room and hang out with my Doberman, and the neighbors love him.... Sharon's out tonight, so I have the lay of the house... and the remotes...

Cheers,
Marc
10-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Gary, some nice photos here but that second one is outstanding especially in the larger version. Thanks for posting it.
10-24-2008, 11:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I love the second one.looks to me that there's a stampede of photos from our Botanical gardens,which is good very good

cheers