Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
C-8 Corvette
Camera: iPhone Xs Photo Location: Houston, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 01-25-2020, 07:54 AM

We made our annual trip to the Houston Auto Show yesterday - this year, our main focus was on seeing the new, mid-engined C-8 Corvette, a possible candidate for our garage.

I have to confess that my first look at the car left me somewhat underwhelmed, possibly because I found its color to be particularly unappealing. Also, I first saw the 'Vette only a couple of minutes after I photographed a stunning Ford GT - a particularly tough act to follow. In any case, the Corvette remains a intriguing possibility that will offer astonishing performance at well below six figures.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 01-25-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Views: 672
01-25-2020, 01:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
We made our annual trip to the Houston Auto Show yesterday - this year, our main focus was on seeing the new, mid-engined C-8 Corvette, a possible candidate for our garage.

I have to confess that my first look at the car left me somewhat underwhelmed, possibly because I found its color to be particularly unappealing. Also, I first saw the 'Vette only a couple of minutes after I photographed a stunning Ford GT - a particularly tough act to follow. In any case, the Corvette remains a intriguing possibility that will offer astonishing performance at well below six figures.

Jer

Nice perspective of the new 'Vette in your photos.

I agree about the colour...the ultra high visibility, bright yellow would seem more at home on an emergency vehicle.

I understand the new Corvette C8 is an incredible performer ...handling, acceleration, braking, traction and that is with the base version. The price is also quite reasonable ...given the performance. Like that mid engine design.

Think the base version engine is a 495 hp LS series V8, which is a highly regarded engine as you know and provides powerful performance. I have read that other engines will be offered, possibly a supercharged V8....which I would guess would have amazing acceleration.

I have yet to see one. Reminds me of the first time I saw a '63 Corvette split window coupe. It was October 1962 and I was on my way to school with some buddies and there it was, going down the street, not at warp speeds.....about 25-30 mph. Good thing, as we could see the 327 fuel injection badging. I was astounded at the beauty. The driver was a guy in our neighbourhood who owned a local Chevy- Olds dealership.

I wonder if my reaction will be similar when I see my first C8 . Probably not as I've now just entered my septuagenarian period....and when I first saw the '63 split window I was mere boy. In the intervening years I've mellowed.

Les
01-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice lines in the design
01-25-2020, 09:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I have to confess that my first look at the car left me somewhat underwhelmed, possibly because I found its color to be particularly unappealing.
2LT / LS-1
  • Blade Silver over Red Leather w/ body color accents

Last edited by monochrome; 01-25-2020 at 09:19 PM.
01-26-2020, 07:54 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice perspective of the new 'Vette in your photos.

I agree about the colour...the ultra high visibility, bright yellow would seem more at home on an emergency vehicle . . . . . . . . . . . I wonder if my reaction will be similar when I see my first C8 . Probably not as I've now just entered my septuagenarian period....and when I first saw the '63 split window I was mere boy. In the intervening years I've mellowed.

Les
Hey Les, there's a lot of bang for the buck in these guys if what I read holds true. I really like the move to mid engine - I've owned two mid-engined Boxsters with marvelous chassis dynamics. The car certainly interests me (as does the new gen 911) so I'll be keeping an eye on it. I adore my current 911 (which has less than 13,000 miles on the clock), so I'll have to move carefully.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Nice lines in the design
It does, EM. I have a hard time getting past the color on this particular car, but I do like the lines - less derivative than I imagined from pictures; in other words, it looks like what you think a mid engined 'Vette would be rather than a poor-man's Ferrari (although it's pretty clear that the Chev's designers know what Ferraris look like ).

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
2LT / LS-1
  • Blade Silver over Red Leather w/ body color accents
A big step in the right direction! Silver would be a great choice for this car.

Jer