Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Storey Bridge (Brisbane) from Bowen Tce Cliffs
Posted By: dosdan, 10-24-2008, 10:15 PM

K20D. DA16-45/F4 @ F8 & 16mm FL, 7/10s, ISO 100.

Taken from here:

storey bridge - Google Maps

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 10-25-2008 at 02:01 AM.
Views: 1,686
10-24-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Nice Dan, almost has an HDR feel about it, but in a nice way.
BTW did you see that I answered your question regarding that macro I took?
10-25-2008, 12:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Nice Dan, almost has an HDR feel about it, but in a nice way.
BTW did you see that I answered your question regarding that macro I took?
Gary, about not being able to provide a deep DOF version? Yes I read that. Your flower photo is a very fine shot. Do you feel that way about it? When you took it did you realise that the OOF colours were going to look so good?

About my shot, I did not think that when I took it. But now that you've mention it I notice it - thanks for your comment. Really, I'd like to be higher up to clear the old wharf sheds and to get a better light reflection off the river. A time when the river was dead calm would help as well. And I'd like to get there earlier.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 10-25-2008 at 02:03 AM.
10-25-2008, 03:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice capture there.

Such a clarity in the image.

10-25-2008, 03:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I enjoy cityscapes and I agree with the HDR comment. That one is a stunner Dan.
10-25-2008, 03:40 AM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Gary, about not being able to provide a deep DOF version? Yes I read that. Your flower photo is a very fine shot. Do you feel that way about it? When you took it did you realise that the OOF colours were going to look so good?

About my shot, I did not think that when I took it. But now that you've mention it I notice it - thanks for your comment. Really, I'd like to be higher up to clear the old wharf sheds and to get a better light reflection off the river. A time when the river was dead calm would help as well. And I'd like to get there earlier.

Dan.

Obviously it's a lot easier to think about it sitting on my back deck and because I am so familiar, it does allow the creativity to come out whereas when you are out shooting, although the creativity still has to be there, there's a greater need for adaptability because you have to work with the environment as opposed to being able to change the environment when you are in your studio. My studio happens to be my deck and my yard a lot of the time. There's a table on my deck so it's easy to arrange pots and plants, it's got a south/west aspect so light is good.
So to answer your question, yes I did have a good feeling about it, I knew that I would get that kind of effect with the way I set things up, it actually turned out better than I expected. I had a good lens, a tripod, a reasonable amount of time. The variable in the procedure was the effect that my body being in between the sun and the subject would have. I could see what it was doing but not the total effect it would have on the finished photo after PP. It's always nice when a minimum amount of PP is required. I think PP is necessary for all pictures to some degree or another,IMO anyway. With this shot and in fact, it was a series of five, I just did a small amount of adjustment to the usual subjects, shadows, highlights, and unsharp mask, I used Elements 6. One final thing, I've been using this lens solidly for a month, so I'm quite familiar with what it can do.

Anyone who has read this might want to see my original thread and picture so they can put this in context can look here; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/39953-little-beauty.html
10-25-2008, 07:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Always look forward to your images of Brisbane, Dan. Nice capture