Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Crimson Whirpool
Lens: Samyang 24mm T/S Camera: K-1 MKII Photo Location: Finland ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: MJKoski, 02-04-2020, 04:45 PM

I was playing with snow and cameras for a week again. I visited one of my favorite places, the whirlpool of ice during few cloudy and overcast (or so it seemed to naked eye). The amount of ice chunks varies quite a bit and seems to have a relation with cold temperatures. After a period of extremely cold days, the pieces of ice really stack up and get stuck in a loop.

This time, I attached Kolari's IR-Chrome filter to Samyang 24mm T/S and had some fun with the crimson trees which popped quite nicely against the bright white snow covered parts. IR-Chrome filter also allowed to expose the bluish tones of sky behind the thick gray cover of clouds.

Vertical shift panorama of two images. Bottom half is 128x in-camera averaged multi-exposure. Full-Spectrum K-1 MKII with KolariVision IR-Chrome filter.
Views: 721
02-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a fascinating image and story, MJK. Any idea what causes the whirlpool?

That snow looks very heavy and deep, and the tiny cabin so close to the creek looks very vulnerable. Is it ever threatened by flood? I have become totally involved in the location.

Great image, beautiful use of minimal colour.
02-05-2020, 04:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. My theory is that cold days produce lot of new ice somewhere up the river and as the flow of water is quite strong they break off and start their journey down the stream eventually ending up at this junction point. The whirpool itself keeps running as the there are rapids pushing high volumes of water downstream where the flow then hits 90 degree turn and starts circular motion around the small pond.

It is hypnotic to watch.

That little cabin has extremely sturdy construction and has been there for decades. It is relatively safe from flooding as it is actually several meters above the surface of water.
02-05-2020, 05:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Love the reds and the stacked whirlpool! Beautiful image.

02-05-2020, 05:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you. I also took one multiexposure where I used Bright-stacking mode for the whirlpool part. It is quite a good use case for this scene. Maybe I will include that here as well.
02-05-2020, 07:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What a beautiful photo and intriguing explanation. This shot is magical!

Jer
02-05-2020, 10:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great example of an eddy, Matti. Which way is the water flowing? The eddy will rotate in the direction that the main stream is flowing, i.e., the main stream will drag the nearest part of the eddy to start the rotation. It is all about conservation of angular momentum and friction. If you have access to water vapour satellite imagery, you can see the same thing happening in the atmosphere.

02-06-2020, 08:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the correct terminology The water comes in from the left and then starts going in clockwise motion around the pool.
02-07-2020, 06:09 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A beautiful image! There are so many interesting parts to this photo and you captured them very well.
12-14-2021, 09:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I was playing with snow and cameras for a week again. I visited one of my favorite places, the whirlpool of ice during few cloudy and overcast (or so it seemed to naked eye). The amount of ice chunks varies quite a bit and seems to have a relation with cold temperatures. After a period of extremely cold days, the pieces of ice really stack up and get stuck in a loop.

This time, I attached Kolari's IR-Chrome filter to Samyang 24mm T/S and had some fun with the crimson trees which popped quite nicely against the bright white snow covered parts. IR-Chrome filter also allowed to expose the bluish tones of sky behind the thick gray cover of clouds.

Vertical shift panorama of two images. Bottom half is 128x in-camera averaged multi-exposure. Full-Spectrum K-1 MKII with KolariVision IR-Chrome filter.
Beautiful shot !
11-24-2023, 11:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote

Wow great composition! I really like your use of timelapse photography. Thanks for sharing!