Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Julie
Lens: Sigma 85mm, DA* 55 Ltd Camera: K-1 
Posted By: clackers, 02-06-2020, 09:24 PM

Julie, K-1 and Sigma 85mm f1.4. Her intensity does show the value of persistence. Patience is what we need as photographers, IMHO, instant results aren't always possible. IIRC, Richard Avedon at times would 'shoot a roll' with the camera empty, to get the subject used to the process, then load film and start doing the real thing.

The first 30 minutes or so we were really meeting the models, the mood was social rather than artistic, and we only got snapshots of a naturally happy, pretty girl. Pleasant, but dull - not stuff for her portfolio or ours. The following example is with the DA*55 wide open:

Once you've made the breakthrough in rapport, a heap is possible, such as when I saw the disappearing sun and said, let's go now for a pic where it's all about shape, nothing else matters. 85mm again, f7.1 this time.

Last edited by clackers; 02-06-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Views: 299
02-07-2020, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #2

All three pictures very different, but all very nice. I like intensity of first one, softness of second and mystery of third. Great ones good job
02-07-2020, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent, Ian. A bonny model, too.

I like all the shots. Frankly, I wouldn't have picked that composition or focal length / working distance for the second shot, yet both work beautifully.

The third is my favourite... nice juxtaposition of the model and setting sun, and I do love a good silhouette