Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Wood warbler
Lens: Tokina SZ-X 80-200mm Camera: K-5IIs Photo Location: Side yard ISO: 250 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Apet-Sure, 02-07-2020, 03:15 PM

This guy (lady?) shows up at the feeder quite often, along with some more brightly colored yellow versions. I had the camera on a tripod and was using a cable release. I kept having to bump up exposure compensation in TAV mode to try and get a good exposure. This one had exp. comp. of +1.3. That didn't make any sense to me, since the ISO is supposed to adjust itself to get proper exposure. Finally I realized that there was a lot of light entering the viewfinder since I wasn't looking into it. I draped a black sock over it and voila, now the shot was overexposed. Dialed down exposure comp., and everything worked as expected. I had read about this problem, but had never experienced it myself. I need to come up with a better way to block the viewfinder when I'm using the cable release. Perhaps something that slides into the hot shoe.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 460
02-07-2020, 06:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful shot, Apet-Sure.
02-08-2020, 12:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Excellent catch. Well done
02-08-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you both.

02-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
This guy (lady?) shows up at the feeder quite often, along with some more brightly colored yellow versions. I had the camera on a tripod and was using a cable release. I kept having to bump up exposure compensation in TAV mode to try and get a good exposure. This one had exp. comp. of +1.3. That didn't make any sense to me, since the ISO is supposed to adjust itself to get proper exposure. Finally I realized that there was a lot of light entering the viewfinder since I wasn't looking into it. I draped a black sock over it and voila, now the shot was overexposed. Dialed down exposure comp., and everything worked as expected. I had read about this problem, but had never experienced it myself. I need to come up with a better way to block the viewfinder when I'm using the cable release. Perhaps something that slides into the hot shoe.
Nice capture of a pretty bird, I keep a roll of black electrical tape or gaffers tape in my bag at all times... A piece of that should work wonders on that viewfinder light leak.
hth,

al
02-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful capture! It gave you a perfect pose.
02-08-2020, 05:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
black electrical tape
I briefly thought about that, but I was afraid that if I didn't apply it carefully to the little hood I might accidentally get adhesive on the glass.

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
It gave you a perfect pose.
Some of the visitors are getting accustomed to me bringing out the suet and standing there shooting them. Some, like the bluebirds and flickers, are still skittish and take off as soon as they see me.