Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
The Beast
Lens: Sigma 24-70mm Wide Angle Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Perth Western Australia 
Posted By: eaglem, 02-17-2020, 03:29 PM

still looks good!

Views: 402
02-18-2020, 05:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gosh, what an incredibly beautiful vehicle. She looks as though the handling alone would be a dream to experience. Many thanks for sharing again. Always a welcomed sight.

Cheers Mate,

TT
02-18-2020, 08:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Gosh, what an incredibly beautiful vehicle. She looks as though the handling alone would be a dream to experience. Many thanks for sharing again. Always a welcomed sight.

Cheers Mate,

TT
Glad you enjoyed it
02-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot of the Beast! It's cool that guys like you and me - guys of a "certain" age - can still be excited by the toys of youth!

Jer

02-19-2020, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Nice pix...like the downward angle of your photo of the Mustang. I like the modern stuff, but think my favourite Mustang is a toss up between the '65-'66 Mustang fast back with the 289/271 HP K code and 4 speed..or the '68 Mustang fastback with the 428 cube option and 4 speed. More of a reflection of the cars available when I was a young guy.

BTW, eaglem...as a Ford guy you might have enjoyed a FoMoCo my FIL had, back in the late '60's. He was a farmer and used to commute back and forth to his grain farm, which was about 70 miles away from the city. He had a '66 Meteor fastback (Canadian market version, then. of the '66 Mercury full size car) . His car had the optional 428 cube FE V8, rated at 345 hp, behind a HD C6 transmission. It was a very solid and fast highway cruiser and he would make good time down the relatively deserted highway to his grain farm. I recall driving out with him the first time and sensing we were really moving, took...as he was driving... what I hoped to be a surreptitious glance at the big Meteor's speedo. Needless to say we made it to the farm in quick time. I drove that that Meteor on occasion and found it to be a wonderful road car.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great shot of the Beast! It's cool that guys like you and me - guys of a "certain" age - can still be excited by the toys of youth!

Jer
Jer your quote got me thinking, back to my misspent youth ...that I share with ' guys of "certain age".

A buddy back then (late '60's) oft times was able to persuade his father to go out to car dealerships to take certain cars (invariably muscle cars) out for a road test...with a view to possible purchase. We were 18-19 years old at the time and my friend was actually looking for his first car...but because of my friend's 'thorough'...nature ...and hot rodder's spirit...he took out a number of performance cars of the day...ostensibly to see if they met his 'needs'. Now chances are, my buddy wouldn't of been able to take many of these muscle cars out on his own...or with just him and me, being young fellows. But the presence of his father...made it ok in the eyes of the salesmen....and my friend and his father were serious buyers.

There was the '68 Plymouth GTX 440 cube/ 375 hp V8, the Dodge Super Bee, etc among others...and then there was the used '69 Chevy Nova with the 4 speed Muncie transmission (version with straight cut gears) and the under rated, solid lifter 396 cube/ 375 hp engine. This factory engine option, was the L 78 396 (Rat motor as we enthusiasts called it) and rumored to put out significantly more power than their factory rating.

I still recall the uneven idle that shook the car's open side windows (the engine had aftermarket headers) and how it really came on the cam at about 3500 rpm in first gear and broke the rear tires loose. I also had the chance to drive it and that drive still remains a very clear memory after all these decades. The acceleration was to put it, in an understated manner...'vivid.

BTW, he and his dad were serious buyers and eventually did factory special order a performance car.

Memories of an old man...eh !

Les
02-19-2020, 05:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Jer
True, everytime I look at it something stirs

---------- Post added 02-20-20 at 08:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice pix...like the downward angle of your photo of the Mustang. I like the modern stuff, but think my favourite Mustang is a toss up between the '65-'66 Mustang fast back with the 289/271 HP K code and 4 speed..or the '68 Mustang fastback with the 428 cube option and 4 speed. More of a reflection of the cars available when I was a young guy.

BTW, eaglem...as a Ford guy you might have enjoyed a FoMoCo my FIL had, back in the late '60's. He was a farmer and used to commute back and forth to his grain farm, which was about 70 miles away from the city. He had a '66 Meteor fastback (Canadian market version, then. of the '66 Mercury full size car) . His car had the optional 428 cube FE V8, rated at 345 hp, behind a HD C6 transmission. It was a very solid and fast highway cruiser and he would make good time down the relatively deserted highway to his grain farm. I recall driving out with him the first time and sensing we were really moving, took...as he was driving... what I hoped to be a surreptitious glance at the big Meteor's speedo. Needless to say we made it to the farm in quick time. I drove that that Meteor on occasion and found it to be a wonderful road car.

Jer your quote got me thinking, back to my misspent youth ...that I share with ' guys of "certain age".

A buddy back then (late '60's) oft times was able to persuade his father to go out to car dealerships to take certain cars (invariably muscle cars) out for a road test...with a view to possible purchase. We were 18-19 years old at the time and my friend was actually looking for his first car...but because of my friend's 'thorough'...nature ...and hot rodder's spirit...he took out a number of performance cars of the day...ostensibly to see if they met his 'needs'. Now chances are, my buddy wouldn't of been able to take many of these muscle cars out on his own...or with just him and me, being young fellows. But the presence of his father...made it ok in the eyes of the salesmen....and my friend and his father were serious buyers.

There was the '68 Plymouth GTX 440 cube/ 375 hp V8, the Dodge Super Bee, etc among others...and then there was the used '69 Chevy Nova with the 4 speed Muncie transmission (version with straight cut gears) and the under rated, solid lifter 396 cube/ 375 hp engine. This factory engine option, was the L 78 396 (Rat motor as we enthusiasts called it) and rumored to put out significantly more power than their factory rating.

I still recall the uneven idle that shook the car's open side windows (the engine had aftermarket headers) and how it really came on the cam at about 3500 rpm in first gear and broke the rear tires loose. I also had the chance to drive it and that drive still remains a very clear memory after all these decades. The acceleration was to put it, in an understated manner...'vivid.

BTW, he and his dad were serious buyers and eventually did factory special order a performance car.

Memories of an old man...eh !

Les
Thank you for that interesting story, quite entertaining
02-19-2020, 07:24 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful. Simply beautiful. Must be difficult to consistently find a parking spot with nothing over head where a bird could perch.
02-19-2020, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Beautiful. Simply beautiful. Must be difficult to consistently find a parking spot with nothing over head where a bird could perch.
I've pretty much got that worked out Dave, don't park near trees or power lines

02-20-2020, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice pix...................Memories of an old man...eh !

Les
Great story, Les. I recall looking at a new Olds 442 one Saturday morning in the spring of '71; I had on bell-bottom blue jeans and one of my blue work shirts that I affected at the time. I also had shoulder-length hair and sort of droopy mustache appropriate for a grad student of the era. No one - not one soul - at the dealership even approached me. For fun, I went back to our apartment, changed into a dress shirt and stylish flared dress pants, and - along with my wife who had just gotten off work and was dressed in skirt and heels - went back to the dealership and nabbed by a salesman as soon as we walked in the door.

I didn't go so far as to cut my hair (nor did I ever buy a 442 - too much money); that happened later when I went into the Army as a butter bar LT a couple of years later.

Jer
02-20-2020, 09:17 AM   #10
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And here I was expecting some oversized rose; can't imagine why
Glad to see you have other passions.
02-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #11
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love that color on the Mustang! Very spiffy!
02-20-2020, 12:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Great story, Les. I recall looking at a new Olds 442 one Saturday morning in the spring of '71; I had on bell-bottom blue jeans and one of my blue work shirts that I affected at the time. I also had shoulder-length hair and sort of droopy mustache appropriate for a grad student of the era. No one - not one soul - at the dealership even approached me. For fun, I went back to our apartment, changed into a dress shirt and stylish flared dress pants, and - along with my wife who had just gotten off work and was dressed in skirt and heels - went back to the dealership and nabbed by a salesman as soon as we walked in the door.

I didn't go so far as to cut my hair (nor did I ever buy a 442 - too much money); that happened later when I went into the Army as a butter bar LT a couple of years later.

Jer
I did a similar thing in the late '70's. I also had longer hair and a moustache at the time and I had phoned the stereo store about an issue I was having with my recently purchased stereo equipment. ..and over the phone, the store's response was not encouraging.

I decided to dress up in one of my work suits, white shirt, tie, florsheims , etc. and made myself look as respectable as I could...considering what I had to work with...me.

I looked the part of a working professional man and the response changed completely when I was at the store, faulty stereo receiver in hand. Right or wrong, my experience tells me many judge a person by their appearance and presentation.

I recall seeing an advert for the 442 in I think car & driver when they first came out..1964 I think?

The advert featured a pix of a 4 door sedan, 330 cube -4 barrel (think around 320 HP) V8, 4 speed, HD suspension, front disc brakes etc. with two policemen sitting in the car and was being promoted as a highway interceptor by Olds ...that a regular Joe could order. I always though this would make a nicely balanced performance car. Acceleration, braking, handling as equipped for the time.

One car I lusted after was a '67 Chevy ll, 2 door hardtop or post...with the 327 cube- 350 hp, hydraulic lifter engine and 4 speed Muncie. We got a few with the 275 hp-327 up here, but only saw a 327/350 hp '67 Chevy ll once in the 1960's and that was in Northern Minnesota.

I eventually bought a '67 Camaro RS coupe with a 327 and 4 speed Muncie, which was nice, but I would have preferred the '67 Chevy ll SS coupe with 350/327.

Les
02-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
And here I was expecting some oversized rose; can't imagine why
Glad to see you have other passions.
Yes it depends on the occasion