Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Mango or Tango (I'm not sure which Toucan was which.)
Lens: Pentax-F 100-300 Camera: Pentax K-7 Photo Location: National Aviary, Pittsburgh, PA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: Gorgarath, 02-24-2020, 11:02 AM

I don't see an animals category, so I'm assuming Nature would be the correct category. Doing a quick glance through my photos while offloading my SD card during a few spare minutes at work and thought this one looked rather lovely. Straight out of the camera with resizing on the computer being the only PP. Luckily, I did get a screw-on metal hood for the F100-300 shortly before the trip which probably helped as well.

While I did pretty well with my F100-300, I wish I would have taken the DA55-200 as there were a few times I wished I could get a little wider and while I did get a few at a full 300mm, I could have managed with a max of 200mm.

This was taken handheld at 100mm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Views: 670
02-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what an interesting creature, nice capture, cheers
02-26-2020, 06:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
I don't see an animals category, so I'm assuming Nature would be the correct category. Doing a quick glance through my photos while offloading my SD card during a few spare minutes at work and thought this one looked rather lovely. Straight out of the camera with resizing on the computer being the only PP. Luckily, I did get a screw-on metal hood for the F100-300 shortly before the trip which probably helped as well.

While I did pretty well with my F100-300, I wish I would have taken the DA55-200 as there were a few times I wished I could get a little wider and while I did get a few at a full 300mm, I could have managed with a max of 200mm.

Along with Macaws, have always enjoyed seeing these critters in the odd David Attenborough doco. The way their beak takes up their whole face makes them look very pre-historic and weird, as if nature was still trying to work out what a bird should look like!!

Nice shot!
02-26-2020, 07:52 PM   #4
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you both!

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Along with Macaws, have always enjoyed seeing these critters in the odd David Attenborough doco. The way their beak takes up their whole face makes them look very pre-historic and weird, as if nature was still trying to work out what a bird should look like!!

Nice shot!
There were a couple of people there talking about how it looked like it was wearing some sort of mask and that the beak looked almost fake because of how big it is and how much of its face it covers.

09-17-2021, 03:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ray of light in the BG is a little distracting. A bit of Haze removal would have increased contrast
09-17-2021, 04:34 PM   #6
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
The ray of light in the BG is a little distracting. A bit of Haze removal would have increased contrast
By ray of light are you referring to the light in the fluorescent light in the background? I'm trying to see a stray light beam but I'm not seeing one.
I totally agree that some post processing would probably do wonders for my photos, but I've yet to sit down and learn how to do that yet. These are just straight from the camera with just some resizing to get them to upload to the site.

09-18-2021, 11:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By ray of light are you referring to the light in the fluorescent light in the background? I'm trying to see a stray light beam but I'm not seeing one.
I totally agree that some post processing would probably do wonders for my photos, but I've yet to sit down and learn how to do that yet. These are just straight from the camera with just some resizing to get them to upload to the site.

What settings in your camera are you using as far as Picture Quality? If you use a size of approximately 6 to 8 Megapixels, you will see a marked difference.

Unless a shooter is planning on enlarging an image to the size of a wall mural, you really do not need a boatload of MPs. Hope this helps.

tt

03-08-2022, 05:33 PM   #8
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
What settings in your camera are you using as far as Picture Quality? If you use a size of approximately 6 to 8 Megapixels, you will see a marked difference.

Unless a shooter is planning on enlarging an image to the size of a wall mural, you really do not need a boatload of MPs. Hope this helps.

tt
Sorry, somehow never replied to this.

I don't recall the exact settings, but it would have been full resolution. I know I don't need it, but that gives me more to play with when I eventually learn to do proper post-processing. And I'm not yet struggling for drive space.