Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
WW2 reconstruction 23.02.2020
Lens: Pentax SMC DA 50-135mm f/2.8 ED (IF) SDM Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Russia, Nizhny Novgorod ISO: 100 
Posted By: Chetverovod, 02-25-2020, 01:17 PM

Views: 354
02-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting series. Nice shots. Those were tough conditions. I don't think we can ever truly "reconstruct" them. I write a bit about the war in New Guinea and I often wonder what things were like there. Imagination only goes so far.
02-25-2020, 02:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This looks like a very realistic reconstruction, with lots of weapons and uniforms. In the third picture, it looks like a gun was fired for real, are the guns authentic? You did a good job of capturing the activities on a snowy day.
02-25-2020, 09:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Interesting series. Nice shots. Those were tough conditions. I don't think we can ever truly "reconstruct" them. I write a bit about the war in New Guinea and I often wonder what things were like there. Imagination only goes so far.
Thank you. Did you wrote about the war in new Guinea in terms of historical research or as a writer?

---------- Post added 02-26-20 at 07:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
This looks like a very realistic reconstruction, with lots of weapons and uniforms. In the third picture, it looks like a gun was fired for real, are the guns authentic? You did a good job of capturing the activities on a snowy day.
Thank you.
Yes, this is a moment when gun was fired. All weapon in safe state it fires by blank bullets. PPSH , MP38 are working in automatic fire mode. The German machine gun imitates shooting without cartridges - a cylinder with compressed air is connected to it. It sounds very similar. At the end of show childrens are running to gather souvenirs - cartridge cases. Spectators get the opportunity to hold and shoot by blank bullets from a weapon.

02-25-2020, 10:23 PM   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chetverovod Quote
Did you wrote about the war in new Guinea in terms of historical research or as a writer
It is based on historical research. I am writing about the Papuan Infantry Battalion (PIB) which was a unit comprised of Papuan soldiers with Australian officers. My father was transferred to the PIB as a Lieutenant in April 1941. He was just the third officer to join the PIB and served with it until it was disbanded in 1946. He was a Major at that time.
02-26-2020, 06:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

"The Great Patriotic War". Who has to play the bad guys?
02-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It is based on historical research. I am writing about the Papuan Infantry Battalion (PIB) which was a unit comprised of Papuan soldiers with Australian officers. My father was transferred to the PIB as a Lieutenant in April 1941. He was just the third officer to join the PIB and served with it until it was disbanded in 1946. He was a Major at that time.
Can I read this somewhere?

---------- Post added 02-26-20 at 11:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
"The Great Patriotic War". Who has to play the bad guys?
I am not so close to reconstructors community, to give you precise answer. I can say time to time I see one person play role as revolutionary sailor, another time I see him as an officer of Wehrmacht, or in uniform soviet soldier. I think he understands that evil is charming, so he canít play bad guys all the time - because there is a risk - the mask can stick to his face.
02-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #8
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chetverovod Quote
Can I read this somewhere?
The book is a couple of years away from being finished (if it doesn't finish me first!). However, I recently did a couple of radio interviews on the topic and I have edited them into a two-part account (about 12,000 words) for a website which deals with Papua New Guinea military history. As soon as they are up I will PM you with the links. Thank you for taking an interest in it.

02-26-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The book is a couple of years away from being finished (if it doesn't finish me first!). However, I recently did a couple of radio interviews on the topic and I have edited them into a two-part account (about 12,000 words) for a website which deals with Papua New Guinea military history. As soon as they are up I will PM you with the links. Thank you for taking an interest in it.
Thank you.