Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
8 Likes  #1
Trip to Algonquin Park
Lens: Way to many Camera: K-1, K-3 Photo Location: Alggonauin Park. Ontario Canda ISO: 200 
Posted By: normhead, 02-25-2020, 03:57 PM

Tess went with me today... here she is up on the deck of the Visitor's Centre

I was down below the deck...

Where I had company

People up on the deck

There were Pine Siskins, I've been hearing them all winter but they don't come to the feeders. There's too much food for them in the bush.

Mr. an Mrs. White Winged Crossbill

Ac couple female purple finch, also not coming to the feeder this year, but saw 10 feeding in the little tree out side our bedroom window the other day,

And to top it all off, wild turkeys

Last edited by normhead; 02-26-2020 at 06:04 AM.
Views: 1,146
02-25-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pic #1 is the best of the bunch.
02-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Pic #1 is the best of the bunch.
What? Not #2?
02-25-2020, 06:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice series Norm. TFS... I would love to photo siskens.One of these days. Have to laugh though, that photo of you in number two..your shadow looks like you are shooting straight into the sun .

AL

02-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What? Not #2?
The first pic has interesting subject matter. The second pic - while perhaps technically better - is far less appealing.

02-25-2020, 06:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Nice series Norm. TFS... I would love to photo siskens.One of these days. Have to laugh though, that photo of you in number two..your shadow looks like you are shooting straight into the sun .

AL
Ya, serious backlighting and subsequent loss of resolution and colour.
02-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The first pic has interesting subject matter. The second pic - while perhaps technically better - is far less appealing.

Tess likes #2 better, fortunately.

02-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tess went with me today... here she is up on the deck of the Visitor's Centre

I was down below the deck...

Where I had company

People up on the deck

There were Pine Siskins, I've been hearing them all winter but they don't come to the feeders. There's too much food for them in the bush.

Mr. an Mrs. White Winged Crossbill

Ac couple female purple finch, also not coming to the feeder this year, but saw 10 feeding in the little tree out side our bedroom window the other day,

And to top it all off, wild turkeys

Great job Norm ! A friend , who has 55+ years as a birder , attracts a crowd of pine siskins using nyjer thistle seeds which are around ten bucks a pound !
02-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Great job Norm ! A friend , who has 55+ years as a birder , attracts a crowd of pine siskins using nyjer thistle seeds which are around ten bucks a pound !
I'm getting ready to hang my nyjer feeder. Only Pine Siskins and Gold Finches seem to like them among the birds I have here.

It takes a couple years to get rid of a pound. I'll be replenishing my supply in a week or two and hanging out the nyjer feeder.

There are major feeders way bigger than mine 50 meters from where I took the Siskin images. This year, they just don't care.
02-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

During the backyard bird count a couple of weeks ago my friend goes through 1 pound of nyjer thistle seed s day a day . This is in California east of Frazier Park at 5000 ' elevation . Could the elevation matter?
02-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
During the backyard bird count a couple of weeks ago my friend goes through 1 pound of nyjer thistle seed s day a day . This is in California east of Frazier Park at 5000 ' elevation . Could the elevation matter?
Probably more the concentration of birds. We have at most 20-40 goldfinches and Pine Siskens most years. They stay for 2 or three weeks. They have a choice of a peanut feeder, black oil sunflower seeds , bird seed with small grains, suet and cut apples and raisins. They have lot's of choice.
02-28-2020, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Where I had company
With her canon she has the same posture as Stalone driving the machine gun in Rambo IV. If I was a bird I'd be scared.
02-28-2020, 03:04 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
With her canon she has the same posture as Stalone driving the machine gun in Rambo IV. If I was a bird I'd be scared.
The tiniest little Asian women with a big personality. If she wasn't talking to me she was talking to the birds in Chinese. Her husband was up in the Visitor's Centre cafeteria working on his laptop on the free wifi.

Last edited by normhead; 02-29-2020 at 07:53 AM.
02-28-2020, 06:43 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tess likes #2 better, fortunately.
And why not? That is a perfectly performed knee-bend you have there!!

PS Just went through yours and Tess' 19-day explorers-of-the-year posts - man, that was really something. Most impressed!!!!
02-29-2020, 07:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
And why not? That is a perfectly performed knee-bend you have there!!

PS Just went through yours and Tess' 19-day explorers-of-the-year posts - man, that was really something. Most impressed!!!!
The knee bend is the result of that being the highest my tripod will go. I have heavier taller tripods, but I prefer this ancient model I've had for 10 years now. It's strong enough to hold a heavy lens and light enough to carry for medium to long distances.

Ya the trip was something special. Now Tess is getting all inspired for another one this year. But we'll try and keep it to a week this year.