Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
16 Likes  #1
A few shots from our 19 Day summer canoe trip, and a link to Tess's trip report.
Lens: DA 55-300 PLM, DA*55 1.4, DFA 28-105, DA 1-21 ltd. Camera: K-5, K-1 Photo Location: ALgqonuin Park 
Posted By: normhead, 02-28-2020, 03:39 PM

Tess's trip report was along time coming but worth the wait, the following images are just teasers.









Algonquin Treks & Images
Views: 1,194
02-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
K2 to K50's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ipswich QLD Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,689
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Tess's trip report was along time coming but worth the wait, the following images are just teasers.









Algonquin Treks & Images
Wow, Normhead!! Those are beautiful photos above.

But I followed your link to Tess' report, and "did the trip" - and I am .....what??

Stunned!

Amazed!

Exhausted! (And all I did was read through the trip!)

Totally jealous and envious!

Totally admiring of the endurance of the two of you (and, of course, of your beautiful dogs).

So, what are the two (four) of you doing NEXT weekend?
02-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,895
I also read the blogposts, very impressive. No way my wife and I would survive 19 days together in the bush! One of us would be doing life in prison for murder and be happy about it. I noticed a lot of wide angle photos, what UWA lens did you take with you?
02-28-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
whammerhead's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Belfast
Posts: 125
Some stunning looking pics there

02-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 13,569
Hey Norm, this is a bloody excellent write up! Please pass that on to Tess, if she isn't reading over your shoulder right now. (And great photos too, though not sure about that old guy who seemed to always be there... )

That's some decent portaging, that I would quite happily pass on... Do you ever use any tumplines? Kevlar boat, I presume? My canoe has very similar dimensions, but weighs at least a good 75lbs being Royalex (though it probably wouldn't be around anymore had it not been so, I had quite a deadly pin this summer, but that's another story...).

Also, the food planning was top class, I will be using that page there in the future for my own planning, if that is all ok. Only 50 lbs is darned good.

Anyway, lot's to comment on in there, but I'll just end up blabbering away if I do. Impressed and very jealous.
02-28-2020, 09:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 35,489
A very good series of shots Norm and pass my regards on to Tess who I haven't seen on here for awhile
02-28-2020, 11:34 PM   #7
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
PJ1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mosquito Creek, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,457
Great shots and a great report. I read it all. I am impressed by the planning that went into the trip and the tremendous effort it took to complete it. Congratulations to you both!
02-29-2020, 12:05 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Bengan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,424
Very nice series

02-29-2020, 06:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,684
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Wow, Normhead!! Those are beautiful photos above.

But I followed your link to Tess' report, and "did the trip" - and I am .....what??

Stunned!

Amazed!

Exhausted! (And all I did was read through the trip!)

Totally jealous and envious!

Totally admiring of the endurance of the two of you (and, of course, of your beautiful dogs).

So, what are the two (four) of you doing NEXT weekend?
Thanks for commenting, and it's a Costco day today...

---------- Post added 02-29-20 at 08:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I also read the blogposts, very impressive. No way my wife and I would survive 19 days together in the bush! One of us would be doing life in prison for murder and be happy about it. I noticed a lot of wide angle photos, what UWA lens did you take with you?
Tess took her K-5 and 21 Ltd, I took my K-1 and DFA 28-105, we also had the DA* 55 1.4 and DA 550300 PLM along.

---------- Post added 02-29-20 at 08:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by whammerhead Quote
Some stunning looking pics there
Thanks for commenting.

---------- Post added 02-29-20 at 08:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Hey Norm, this is a bloody excellent write up! Please pass that on to Tess, if she isn't reading over your shoulder right now. (And great photos too, though not sure about that old guy who seemed to always be there... )

That's some decent portaging, that I would quite happily pass on... Do you ever use any tumplines? Kevlar boat, I presume? My canoe has very similar dimensions, but weighs at least a good 75lbs being Royalex (though it probably wouldn't be around anymore had it not been so, I had quite a deadly pin this summer, but that's another story...).

Also, the food planning was top class, I will be using that page there in the future for my own planning, if that is all ok. Only 50 lbs is darned good.

Anyway, lot's to comment on in there, but I'll just end up blabbering away if I do. Impressed and very jealous.
Ya, Tess is the writer in the family.

Tess will sometimes use a tumpline, I never do, they just don't agree with me. I Used to have tump for the canoe but since we got our light weight canoe it's no longer necessary. Yes the boat is Kevlar, between 45 and 48 pounds. For years I carried a 75 pound Coleman. I still have a 65 pound Royalex Prospector but I don't carry it over 700 meters these days. Tess spent months preparing and de-hydrating the meals. As you get older you can carry less and the price of your canoe goes from $400 to $4k, for the lightweight layups. You have to save while you're young.

---------- Post added 02-29-20 at 08:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A very good series of shots Norm and pass my regards on to Tess who I haven't seen on here for awhile
She occasionally looks over my shoulder on the forum...she'll probably read this thread.

---------- Post added 02-29-20 at 08:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Great shots and a great report. I read it all. I am impressed by the planning that went into the trip and the tremendous effort it took to complete it. Congratulations to you both!
Tess spent ages putting this trip together. Of course, the fact that we take people out tripping all the time helps in terms of understanding what needs to be done. It keeps you sharp.

---------- Post added 02-29-20 at 08:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
Very nice series
Thanks for commenting.

Last edited by normhead; 02-29-2020 at 06:57 AM.
03-01-2020, 03:58 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 50,804
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
link to Tess's trip report
Thank you both, your words and images allowed me to be there with you on your trip in a most beautiful part of the world.
03-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #11
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,684
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Thank you both, your words and images allowed me to be there with you on your trip in a most beautiful part of the world.
Thanks for commenting. Doing this now, we go through the notes, it's amazing how much we've already forgotten. So it's also already helping us remember.
03-02-2020, 08:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 13,569
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ya, Tess is the writer in the family.

Tess will sometimes use a tumpline, I never do, they just don't agree with me. I Used to have tump for the canoe but since we got our light weight canoe it's no longer necessary. Yes the boat is Kevlar, between 45 and 48 pounds. For years I carried a 75 pound Coleman. I still have a 65 pound Royalex Prospector but I don't carry it over 700 meters these days. Tess spent months preparing and de-hydrating the meals. As you get older you can carry less and the price of your canoe goes from $400 to $4k, for the lightweight layups. You have to save while you're young.
The Prospector name is interesting. Nowadays it can mean anything, a catch phrase for a canoe. I believe very few are similar shapes to the Chestnut Prospector that Bill Mason loved so much.

Royalex durability is damned good, I pinned mine bad, but only a bit of heat gun use got it back to shape, my parents have wrapped one, and kicked it back into shape, again using a heat gun to smooth it out. But nowadays it's only used boats that have that, and they're heavy! I've heard good things about the Duralite Hellman canoes (though I suppose they are more common here, being a fairly local company), and picking them up they're pretty light... but that's a good ways off for me, who knows what sort of materials will be used when I get there?
03-02-2020, 09:04 AM   #13
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,684
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
The Prospector name is interesting. Nowadays it can mean anything, a catch phrase for a canoe. I believe very few are similar shapes to the Chestnut Prospector that Bill Mason loved so much.

Royalex durability is damned good, I pinned mine bad, but only a bit of heat gun use got it back to shape, my parents have wrapped one, and kicked it back into shape, again using a heat gun to smooth it out. But nowadays it's only used boats that have that, and they're heavy! I've heard good things about the Duralite Hellman canoes (though I suppose they are more common here, being a fairly local company), and picking them up they're pretty light... but that's a good ways off for me, who knows what sort of materials will be used when I get there?
The Royalex PRosepcter I own made by the now extinct Evergreen Canoe company, used one of the old Chestnut prospectors as a mold, so I doubt there's a whole lot of difference. That plus, it's such a good solo and white water boat and a joy to paddle. I did my whole Ontario Recreational Canoes Certification Trip Leader as well as my Tandem and solo flat water and white water courses in it.

Given that the company is now out of business, I'll never sell that boat.

The red light weighth canoe (that we took out last summer) made by Langford is sold as a prospector, but I've paddled 18 foot prospectors and our canoe is nothing like them. It has one of the best efficiency co-efficients out there, where as prosecutors were optimized to carry heavy loads and for maneuverability. It's called a Propector, but definitely not made by using old Chestnuts as molds. It's been optimized for the modern tripper, not for Prospectors heading off into the wilderness for the summer.
03-02-2020, 09:25 AM   #14
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 13,569
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The Royalex PRosepcter I own made by the now extinct Evergreen Canoe company, used one of the old Chestnut prospectors as a mold, so I doubt there's a whole lot of difference. That plus, it's such a good solo and white water boat and a joy to paddle. I did my whole Ontario Recreational Canoes Certification Trip Leader as well as my Tandem and solo flat water and white water courses in it.
I said very few, not none

But seriously it looks like a nice boat, and I don't blame you for never wanting to sell it.


My Penobscot 17 is a fairly decent "do it all" boat, though the lack of much rocker leaves a bit to be desired, such that I wouldn't solo it on whitewater.
03-02-2020, 09:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,684
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I said very few, not none

But seriously it looks like a nice boat, and I don't blame you for never wanting to sell it.


My Penobscot 17 is a fairly decent "do it all" boat, though the lack of much rocker leaves a bit to be desired, such that I wouldn't solo it on whitewater.
My old Coleman was the same. We used to cal it "the Pig." But a number times I just threw it off the side of a hill to avoid carrying down steep embankment covered with boulders. A couple of times even loaded. I also used to drag it through shallow creek beds scrapping small rocks all the way along. I'd don't own any boats I would do that with anymore.

I made up for being slow to portage by being faster when i didn't have to unload it and could just drag it full of gear. On some times I actually came out ahead of the game with it.

My daughter still hasn't forgiven me for the time she had to use it on a trip with her boyfriend. "We're paddling harder than anyone else to be a half hour behind at each portage."
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
boat, camera, canoe, day summer canoe, flickr, head, images, norm, photo, photos, post, pound, series, shots, shoulder, tess, thanks, trip
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Machinery Falcon 9 TESS Launch - Extreme Range FritzCat66 Post Your Photos! 10 04-30-2018 10:57 PM
Landscape 1600 photos from a 16 day Canoe Trip tessfully Post Your Photos! 39 09-17-2012 05:49 AM
Landscape More from our Algonquin Canoe Trip tessfully Post Your Photos! 19 09-13-2012 11:36 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top