Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10 Likes  #1
Mesa Arch, a classic that never gets old
Lens: Pentax 28-45mm Camera: Pentax 645z ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/2s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: The Madshutter, 03-05-2020, 12:35 PM

It appears that is now "fashionable" to tag any landscape photograph on Instagram as "Mesa Arch", with the intent of keeping the real location undisclosed - seeing that yesterday, while exploring Northumberland for a future Workshop, made me think about the "real" Mesa Arch, and I went to look in my archives for an image of the Arch to share.

Mesa Arch is such a unique location, and being there at sunrise to witness the arch glow with the first sun's light is a truly unforgettable experience! An old photo taken in 2016 with my then Pentax 645z, Pentax 28-45mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters.

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri
Views: 375
03-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nick Page doesn't have that much to answer for - 'fashionable' indeed! What's missing, apart from the daily tripod scrum, is a sense of scale in most images of this spot. I thought it massive, arching over a hundred foot span or so, but it's quite small in reality. Arches is a fascinating park with much more than Mesa Arch to see.

It's still a fine image, though!
03-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Nick Page doesn't have that much to answer for - 'fashionable' indeed! What's missing, apart from the daily tripod scrum, is a sense of scale in most images of this spot. I thought it massive, arching over a hundred foot span or so, but it's quite small in reality. Arches is a fascinating park with much more than Mesa Arch to see.

It's still a fine image, though!
I had no idea about who Nick Page was.

Mesa Arch is not in Arches, it's in Canyonlands NP. About Instagram, as I said people are tagging ANY image as Mesa Arch to keep the real location of their images undisclosed - meaning ANY image, not just Mesa Arch ones, so that people would think the location of, say, a waterfall in the middle of Iceland is "Mesa Arch"

Glad you enjoyed the image! Best regards,

Vieri
03-06-2020, 07:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Outstanding shot, Vieri!

Jer

03-06-2020, 02:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Utah has plenty of scenery to offer : Arches Nat'l Park, Canyonlands Nat'l and Dead Horse State Parks, Zion and Bryce Canyon Nat'l Parks, Grand Escalante, even the Northern portion of Monument Valley. Great picture ! Since having my 2 knees replaced (because of osteoarthritis), I can no longer tackle rocky uneven paths to access these wonders. One could spend his entire life photographing the American Southwest.

Regards,
Richard
03-06-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
I had no idea about who Nick Page was.
Nick used the Mesa Arch tag as a protest against geotagging photographic locations on Instagram. Many locations cannot survive mass invasions by hordes of photographers and Instagrammers since they are a bit delicate, like The Wave. Mesa Arch is made of, and surrounded by, lots of hard rock and can stand more foot traffic. Especially tripod feet...

Mesa is in Canyonlands? Silly me.
03-08-2020, 02:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Outstanding shot, Vieri!

Jer
Thank you very much Jer, glad you enjoyed it

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Utah has plenty of scenery to offer : Arches Nat'l Park, Canyonlands Nat'l and Dead Horse State Parks, Zion and Bryce Canyon Nat'l Parks, Grand Escalante, even the Northern portion of Monument Valley. Great picture ! Since having my 2 knees replaced (because of osteoarthritis), I can no longer tackle rocky uneven paths to access these wonders. One could spend his entire life photographing the American Southwest.

Regards,
Richard
Thank you very much Richard, glad you enjoyed it! Indeed, the Southwest is just an incredible area!

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Nick used the Mesa Arch tag as a protest against geotagging photographic locations on Instagram. Many locations cannot survive mass invasions by hordes of photographers and Instagrammers since they are a bit delicate, like The Wave. Mesa Arch is made of, and surrounded by, lots of hard rock and can stand more foot traffic. Especially tripod feet...

Mesa is in Canyonlands? Silly me.
I see, so he is the one who started the whole Mesa Arch tagging thing. Yep - Mesa Arch is in Canyonlands.

Best regards,

Vieri
03-08-2020, 09:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perfect ,

03-10-2020, 08:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Outlander Quote