Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
muddy grrey winter with a reanimated camera
Lens: Apotar 4.5/105 Camera: AGFA Record ISO: 50 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: JensE, 03-05-2020, 02:59 PM

I have a project to recreate a photograph (cityscape) from 1905, which is printed on 100cm x 135cm canvas. So I checked what cameras (and film) are at my disposal, likely to provide a similar character to it. I remembered an old AGFA Record II 6x9 folding camera, which hadn't been used in the past 30+ years and turned out to have quite a bit of fungus in the lens, a stuck shutter and a focus thread which was next to impossible to turn. The camera's field of view is a bit too narrow vertically for my project, but I anyway disassembled and cleaned the lens from what was easy to remove, unscrewed, cleaned and re-lubricated the focus thread, cleaned and lubricated the shutter timer mechanism and got everything working again, with times which are close enough to what they should be.

Incidentally, I was asked for some scrap negatives to decorate a lamp shade with. Both together a perfectly good reason to shoot some of my 17y expired APX100 as a test roll. Shot at ISO50 and thrown into Spur Acurol-N 1+50 for 12 minutes. Before handing over the negatives, I did a quick & dirty (in the literal sense) 'scan' on my light table using K-1 + DFA50 macro, held 'flat' by a mobile phone and a USB power bank. I had to use an ND64 filter to get exposure times long enough for the 100Hz flicker to disappear. Apart from some fogging, in some 'thinner' areas, the print on the backing paper shows on the film.

Obviously, the DoF scale is very generous, tailored for 6x9 contact prints, so it is a bit front-focused despite setting it at hyperfocal distance. I checked that infinity focus is fine with a different picture, so I managed to reassemble the front element into the correct thread start. I had marked the 'exit' point on disassembly, but it was very sticky and I wasn't quite sure. The focus mechanism only moves the front lens by a few millimeters (3-lens design), therefore the whole construction is very compact and can fold flat into 40mm total thickness.
Views: 423