Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Pretty but Obnoxious
Lens: DA55-300mm f4.5-6.3 PLM Camera: K-3II Photo Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: ToddK, 03-17-2020, 05:29 AM

These Greater Sulphur Crested Cockatoos are beautiful birds, but after talking to a few Sydney locals, not well loved. Since I have a smaller version of this one as a pet, I know how loud and destructive they can be. Still, they are fantastic birds to watch as they interact with each other and fly around in flocks.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 362
03-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
These Greater Sulphur Crested Cockatoos are beautiful birds, but after talking to a few Sydney locals, not well loved. Since I have a smaller version of this one as a pet, I know how loud and destructive they can be. Still, they are fantastic birds to watch as they interact with each other and fly around in flocks.
Australia certainly has a lot of photogenic birds such as this one . Curved bills like this one has scare me though . TFS
03-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Australia certainly has a lot of photogenic birds such as this one . Curved bills like this one has scare me though . TFS
Thanks pichaser! I can tell you from personal experience it is not a lot of fun when they decide to chomp down on your fingers. My cockatoo gets me every once in awhile, probably just to remind me who is the boss
03-17-2020, 07:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot, I think the White Corellas are noisier and there are plenty of those around.

03-17-2020, 07:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

another beauty , are these not the birds that can developed quite the vocabulary lol
03-18-2020, 05:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Nice shot, I think the White Corellas are noisier and there are plenty of those around.
Thanks EM! I guess you folks have adapted to their noisy world pretty well
QuoteOriginally posted by Outlander Quote
another beauty , are these not the birds that can developed quite the vocabulary lol
Thank you! I have a smaller version of this one, and she talks, but to most people it sounds like a different language: Thankfully, she has learned no swear words!
03-18-2020, 07:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great pic, Todd. Lots of detail and a great composition.

Jer
03-19-2020, 02:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A real Aussie icon type of shot, Todd, and well-captured! As a kid (talking 60yrs+ ago, here, hee hee) we had pet budgerigars - miniature compared to the Cockie, of course, but same shaped beak. And you sure knew it when they bit your ear lobe!!!!

There have been a lot of these (cockatoos) flying around my home recently, at evening (suburbia, mind you) and making a racket.
But you still gotta love 'em!! They are birds with real character!

Way way back, some friends of mine who had a pet cockatoo were trying to work out why, every morning, they found the one or more of the tyres of their car flat. After a few days, they finally caught their Cockie at it - pushing down the inside of the tyre valve with his top beak and giving himself a rubbery air blast!!!

03-19-2020, 05:14 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great pic, Todd. Lots of detail and a great composition.
Jer
Thanks Jer!
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
A real Aussie icon type of shot, Todd, and well-captured! As a kid (talking 60yrs+ ago, here, hee hee) we had pet budgerigars - miniature compared to the Cockie, of course, but same shaped beak. And you sure knew it when they bit your ear lobe!!!!
There have been a lot of these (cockatoos) flying around my home recently, at evening (suburbia, mind you) and making a racket.
But you still gotta love 'em!! They are birds with real character!
Way way back, some friends of mine who had a pet cockatoo were trying to work out why, every morning, they found the one or more of the tyres of their car flat. After a few days, they finally caught their Cockie at it - pushing down the inside of the tyre valve with his top beak and giving himself a rubbery air blast!!!
Thanks for the comment and great story K2 to K50! They are highly intelligent and easily bored which leads to much mischief! We have had several budgies over the years and they are great little pets.