Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10 Likes  #1
2020-03-17-Life and death in Blue Jay land
Lens: Tamron SP AF 300 2.8 with F 1.7x AF Adapter Camera: K-1 Photo Location: My back yard ISO: 400 Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: normhead, 03-17-2020, 07:16 PM

K-1 and Tamron SP AF 300 2.8

Toughing it out in a snow squall...

The new feeder is an immediate favourite..

A few days ago, not everyone was there for roll call at the end of the day.

Views: 465
03-17-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
An excellent series of shots, sharp crisp with plenty of detail and colour
03-18-2020, 06:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for commenting eaglem
03-18-2020, 06:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Great work Norm.Nice series of images.

Last shot is karma-esk... jays though beautiful are major predators on other birds eggs and chicks. The last image shows well that they too have their predators.

Al

03-18-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Great work Norm.Nice series of images.

Last shot is karma-esk... jays though beautiful are major predators on other birds eggs and chicks. The last image shows well that they too have their predators.

Al
An immature Cooper's Hawk I think. We've see the Jays take mice, this was the first Jay death on the property... eat and be eaten and all that.
03-18-2020, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
An immature Cooper's Hawk I think. We've see the Jays take mice, this was the first Jay death on the property... eat and be eaten and all that.
Merlin, adult male.
03-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Man, your jays have such a rich, striking blue. The one's I see a round here generally look pretty faded - rather like me!

Jer
03-18-2020, 07:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Man, your jays have such a rich, striking blue. The one's I see a round here generally look pretty faded - rather like me!

Jer
It's all about catching them in the right light....

---------- Post added 03-18-20 at 11:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Merlin, adult male.
Tess is checking to see if you're right. The issue being she thinks it was bigger than I do. But Merlin would make sense, they nest within a half KM of our house every year, although we've never found the nest. We have had a couple young in a tree on our 1 acre property while the were still being fed by their parents, and it's a very noisey affair.

03-20-2020, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

It's all about catching them in the right light....

---------- Post added 03-18-20 at 11:21 AM ----------

Tess is checking to see if you're right. The issue being she thinks it was bigger than I do. But Merlin would make sense, they nest within a half KM of our house every year, although we've never found the nest. We have had a couple young in a tree on our 1 acre property while the were still being fed by their parents, and it's a very noisey affair.
The primaries on an Accipiter (Gos-, Cooper's, or Sharp-shinned hawk) only reach to the base of the tail when the wings are folded. In falcons (Peregrine, Merlin, Kestrel) they reach to the tip of the tail. On your local species of Buteo (Red-tail, Broad-winged, or Red-shouldered Hawks) the wing tips reach half-way down the tail. The pale bars on the are wider than the dark bars in Accipiter, unlike this bird, which has pale bars narrower than dark bars. This indicates a Merlin or Peregrine. Also, note the dark vertical bar extending downward from the anterior end of the eye. This indicates a falcon. The slate blue-grey back indicates it is an adult, but the dark brown streaking on the chest and belly exclude Accipiter (which would have rusty bars). That leaves male Merlin. Lest you think that telling those species apart is a labourious task, with practice one can do it in less time than it takes to read the first few words of this paragraph.
03-20-2020, 05:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
The primaries on an Accipiter (Gos-, Cooper's, or Sharp-shinned hawk) only reach to the base of the tail when the wings are folded. In falcons (Peregrine, Merlin, Kestrel) they reach to the tip of the tail. On your local species of Buteo (Red-tail, Broad-winged, or Red-shouldered Hawks) the wing tips reach half-way down the tail. The pale bars on the are wider than the dark bars in Accipiter, unlike this bird, which has pale bars narrower than dark bars. This indicates a Merlin or Peregrine. Also, note the dark vertical bar extending downward from the anterior end of the eye. This indicates a falcon. The slate blue-grey back indicates it is an adult, but the dark brown streaking on the chest and belly exclude Accipiter (which would have rusty bars). That leaves male Merlin. Lest you think that telling those species apart is a labourious task, with practice one can do it in less time than it takes to read the first few words of this paragraph.
Thanks for the detailed explanation....
03-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #11

Very nice series, although with a bad ending.
03-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjortron Quote
Very nice series, although with a bad ending.
I've had these feeders up for more than 5 years and this is the first time I've lost a bird (that I knew about) to a hawk, so not so bad.
03-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ahh the circle of life. Nice series.
03-22-2020, 05:52 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Most of the birds I have now were born here and have never been away from here. SO I see the whole thing. They leave in the summer when they go off to their breeding territories, some of which are less than 50 meters from my house) many of them, but they're mostly back in the fall.
03-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-1 and Tamron SP AF 300 2.8

Toughing it out in a snow squall...

The new feeder is an immediate favourite..

A few days ago, not everyone was there for roll call at the end of the day.
Merlins are quite effective predators . I haven't seen any this year but they are in my area too . Norm, your series is quite instructive and thanks Pete for your expert insights .