Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Aircraft at HARS
Lens: HDDA 16-85 WR Camera: K3 Photo Location: Albion Park Rail, NSW ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F14 
Posted By: RobG, 03-21-2020, 04:46 AM

Macchi in flight
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

This display at the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society shows a RAAF Macchi trainer in flight. It is painted as A7-030 in the RAAF Roulette display team colour scheme. While the majority of the aircraft is A7-030, it is actually a hybrid of parts from other aircraft and the internal components have been removed. The Macchi was used by the RAAF as a jet trainer in the late 1960s until 2001 when they were replaced with the Hawk.

Flow

Oil patterns on Connie's surfaces. The Superconstellation affectionately known as Connie is the centrepiece of the collection at HARS. Many of the volunteers at HARS are former employees of Qantas, and Qantas flew the Superconstellation before it was superseded by the 707. Hopefully soon John Travolta's 707 will join the collection; it is also a former Qantas aircraft.

More to come.
Views: 1,533
03-21-2020, 05:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice!
03-21-2020, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Nice!
Thanks! More to come - I thought we were on a short tour, but it ended up being several hours long!
03-21-2020, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love planes - Dad was in the air force so I got to have rides in lots of military planes and a few hellicopters. I got to sit in a CT-114 Tutor (Canadian acrobatic team Snowbirds) - begged to get taken for a ride but that was no go. Nice series.

03-21-2020, 07:21 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Love planes - Dad was in the air force so I got to have rides in lots of military planes and a few hellicopters. I got to sit in a CT-114 Tutor (Canadian acrobatic team Snowbirds) - begged to get taken for a ride but that was no go. Nice series.
Thanks, and wow, lucky you! I can't complain because I've been up in a lot of different aircraft although the only military one was an Iroquois.
03-21-2020, 04:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I love the Constellation! Probably one of the most beautiful aircraft ever. And I am certain it the most beautiful Airliner ever built.
03-21-2020, 05:05 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I love the Constellation! Probably one of the most beautiful aircraft ever. And I am certain it the most beautiful Airliner ever built.
I agree! It's a lovely aircraft. Here's a shot of Connie in flight. She did two passes down Sydney Harbour for the International Fleet Review in 2013.

PS I was told at HARS that at present, Connie is the only flying Super Constellation in the world.

Last edited by RobG; 03-21-2020 at 06:10 PM.
03-21-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
PS I as told at HARS that at present, Connie is the only flying Super Constellation in the world.
Up until several years ago there were copies flying so a pilot could spend some big dollars and get a type rating in a Connie. Maybe not a super constellation though. I would love to get a ride in one!
03-21-2020, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
One of the first aircraft we saw in the HARS collection was this Neptune.

P2V-7 Neptune at HARS

Although the Neptune was operated by the ADF, this aircraft is actually from the French armed forces. One of the features of the Neptune which I learned about on the tour of HARS was the 70 million candlepower searchlight in the starboard tip-tank. You can see it in the distance on the left side of the photo. I also found out that the Grumman Tracker has a similar light.

---------- Post added 22-03-20 at 11:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Up until several years ago there were copies flying so a pilot could spend some big dollars and get a type rating in a Connie. Maybe not a super constellation though. I would love to get a ride in one!
Although Connie is capable of carrying passengers, none are flown, sadly. I'll post a couple more photos of Connie. I think there are some aircraft elsewhere in the world which are close to flying condition but not currently operable.

---------- Post added 22-03-20 at 11:59 AM ----------

HARS Neptune A87-293

This is the main flying Neptune in the HARS collection, and was formerly operated by the ADF. You can see the front of one of the two jet engines which were used for extra thrust when it was required. The jet engines couldn't be operated continuously because they used the same high lead content fuel as the main engines, which could damage the turbine.

The brown dust on the top of the aircraft is ash from the recent bushfires.

---------- Post added 22-03-20 at 12:09 PM ----------

Remove before flight

Don't forget to take the chicken off the pitot tube before flight! This Canberra trainer A84-502 is a static display at HARS and sadly not in flying condition. The round windows on the canopy somehow remind me of Snoopy wearing goggles!

---------- Post added 22-03-20 at 12:33 PM ----------

Super Constellation interior

Clearly there's a lot of work going on inside the Super Constellation, but this gives you an idea of the interior. The seats were actually donated to HARS from Qantas and came from a Boeing 767.
03-22-2020, 06:48 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent series of aircraft images Rob! That was a day well spent
03-22-2020, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oil patterns on Connie's surfaces
Interesting image! Reminds me of a story from Concorde's development: a problem the aerodynamics of the day couldn't solve was predicting airflow around the engine nacelles. Someone had a bright idea of mixing 50:50 lamp black and castor oil and painting the underside of the wing ahead of the nacelles, then sending the aircraft for a supersonic flight. At supersonic speed the ghastly mix thinned and flowed as the wing warmed up from air friction, then they slowed her down to subsonic speed. At 40,000 ft plus it's pretty cold, so the flow patterns froze. The aircraft landed, the flow patterns were photographed and the tricky boundary flow analysed. Job done.
03-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good stuff, Rob. Very enjoyable.

Jer
03-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Excellent series of aircraft images Rob! That was a day well spent
Thanks! I have heaps of photos, but unfortunately I won't be able to put them all online. I've nearly reached my limit for photos on Flickr.

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Interesting image! Reminds me of a story from Concorde's development: a problem the aerodynamics of the day couldn't solve was predicting airflow around the engine nacelles. Someone had a bright idea of mixing 50:50 lamp black and castor oil and painting the underside of the wing ahead of the nacelles, then sending the aircraft for a supersonic flight. At supersonic speed the ghastly mix thinned and flowed as the wing warmed up from air friction, then they slowed her down to subsonic speed. At 40,000 ft plus it's pretty cold, so the flow patterns froze. The aircraft landed, the flow patterns were photographed and the tricky boundary flow analysed. Job done.
Wow! I wonder which test aircraft it was? The capabilities of software and computers in those days were a tiny fraction of what is possible now. I've only been in a Concorde once; one of the test aircraft is in the Fleet Air Arm museum in Yeovilton in the UK. It's so sad that they were retired.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Good stuff, Rob. Very enjoyable.
Thanks Jer! They have a great collection at HARS. I will have to go back and take more photos of the outside of the 747-400 "Canberra", because I forgot to change modes on the camera, but who knows how long it will be before I can go back?
03-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree! It's a lovely aircraft. Here's a shot of Connie in flight. She did two passes down Sydney Harbour for the International Fleet Review in 2013.

PS I was told at HARS that at present, Connie is the only flying Super Constellation in the world.

Beautiful.

I once saw a Super Constellation, in Melbourne. Cannot recall which show that was (think it was at Moorabbin).
Beautiful aircraft.
03-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a shot of Connie in flight.
That's a terrific study of a wonderfully graceful aircraft. Love it!

- Craig
« Kathrine | Testing. »