Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  
Aircraft at HARS
Posted By: RobG, 03-21-2020, 04:46 AM

Macchi in flight
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

This display at the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society shows a RAAF Macchi trainer in flight. It is painted as A7-030 in the RAAF Roulette display team colour scheme. While the majority of the aircraft is A7-030, it is actually a hybrid of parts from other aircraft and the internal components have been removed. The Macchi was used by the RAAF as a jet trainer in the late 1960s until 2001 when they were replaced with the Hawk.

Flow

Oil patterns on Connie's surfaces. The Superconstellation affectionately known as Connie is the centrepiece of the collection at HARS. Many of the volunteers at HARS are former employees of Qantas, and Qantas flew the Superconstellation before it was superseded by the 707. Hopefully soon John Travolta's 707 will join the collection; it is also a former Qantas aircraft.

More to come.
Views: 1,509
03-22-2020, 07:57 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Beautiful. I once saw a Super Constellation, in Melbourne. Cannot recall which show that was (think it was at Moorabbin). Beautiful aircraft.
It looked fabulous flying through the harbour.

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
That's a terrific study of a wonderfully graceful aircraft. Love it!
Thank you!

03-23-2020, 12:47 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I agree! It's a lovely aircraft. Here's a shot of Connie in flight. She did two passes down Sydney Harbour for the International Fleet Review in 2013.

PS I was told at HARS that at present, Connie is the only flying Super Constellation in the world.

I believe I had a flight on a Constellation...over 50 years ago, now. The plane that my charter group was supposed to fly, had broken down and an old, even then, Connie took our group from Western Canada to Indiana...with if I recall correctly a stop for fuel in Minneapolis.

It was a noisy old bird and relatively slow compared to more modern jetliners...but it had character and character counts for something.
03-23-2020, 05:05 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I believe I had a flight on a Constellation...over 50 years ago, now. The plane that my charter group was supposed to fly, had broken down and an old, even then, Connie took our group from Western Canada to Indiana...with if I recall correctly a stop for fuel in Minneapolis. It was a noisy old bird and relatively slow compared to more modern jetliners...but it had character and character counts for something.
Wow, Lucky!
03-24-2020, 03:06 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster

Grumman S-2G Tracker number 844

After the aircraft carrier Melbourne was decommissioned in 1982, the Trackers operated by the RAN were retired in 1983. Two were retained, and this example is maintained by HARS as the only airworthy example of the type in Australia. Note the huge spotlight on the folded starboard wing.

03-24-2020, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Australia has got quite a lot of heritage aviation gems.

Kind of wasted that i only visited an airshow at Moorabbin many many years ago.
And also the air museum at Bullcreek, Perth, WA some years ago.

The one at Bullcreek wasn't big, but they got quite a few gems.

When i was there, saw this tail section of what looked like a former South African F86 Sabre.

Asked the people there and they shared the story of how that tail section came about.
Apparently, it was to be scrapped, and they had just finished off the front and mid section when someone told them to hold on, and that's how the museum came to have the tail section.

Their plan was to keep a lookout and source for the front n mid (or entire plane) from whereever and then Frankenstein it.

I sure hope they already found what they needed.

And every once a week (cannot recall, maybe is more often than that), they will also fire up a Rolls Royce Merlin engine.

It was at this museum that i saw the F111 cockpit section as well.

Didn't have a chance to check out quite many other places. Pity.
03-24-2020, 04:28 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Australia has got quite a lot of heritage aviation gems.

Kind of wasted that i only visited an airshow at Moorabbin many many years ago.
And also the air museum at Bullcreek, Perth, WA some years ago.
I haven't been to WA, unfortunately. Other than HARS, the Australian War Memorial has an excellent collection, and there's some beautifully restored aircraft, many in flying condition, at Temora in western NSW. The other aircraft collection I visited the day after HARS was the Fleet Air Arm collection at Nowra. The RAAF museum at Point Cook in Victoria is also quite interesting, and you mentioned Moorabbin which has that beautifully restored Beaufighter which I climbed into when I was a kid.
« Kathrine | Testing. »