Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Here's Lookin' at You, Kid!
Posted By: K2 to K50, 03-21-2020, 08:43 PM

Not the best shot: must have focused on the back/thorax whatever, instead of the eyes. Very late afternoon, hence weird ISO. Tripod and 100mm Macro were back in the car, so had to make do with the 55-300mm PLM handheld. If I had paid more attention to the info in the viewfinder, maybe I could have sacrificed some shutter speed for smaller aperture/better DOF.

Name:  PETE4823.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  112.4 KB

Views: 597
03-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LightSpeed Quote
Nah I have pretty tough skin. Don't worry about it.

I remember a time when I reacted the same way. Only the criticism I took on was far more harsh than my trying to help you along.
I fail to discern why you feel you need to be coddled. I'm just as friendly as the next guy. I'm by far not an elitist.
That was cute flipping the image upside down but it's still framed wrong. lol
For some reason you feel like you're being attacked. You're not. I think you're an ok guy.
A moth may stay put, a dragon fly won't after you finish bumping everything around with the tripod.
Properly using focus assist and rocking back and forth will behoove you far more than a tripod when speaking in terms of macro, or in this case, semi-macro.
Yes even if your vision isn't 20/20.
The rules of composition are rules, not laws. But it seems you have a problem with pointing out composition. In this case yours was not good, but the bright side is you still got 6 likes.
And yes, composition matters, but sometimes a dead on middle of the frame shot looks better than a rule of thirds shot on an inflatable dinosaur with his butt sticking out of a car door.
As far are the tripod goes, again, the problem wasn't a slow shutter speed and high ISO, the problem was you didn't use a flash. Which would have eliminated much of this discussion around sharpness and depth of field.
But of course you already know this and I just have no idea what I'm talking about, That may be why flash wasn't used. Instead we're focused on reasons why the subject was out of focus, and depth of field lacked, severely.
I can recommend a flash at low cost that would have opened many possibilities for your shot. If you like. If you don't already have one.

Stop making excuses for this image. We all make mistakes, I've made more than you can count. Everybody gets a bad capture, not just you, and not just me.
But you're good and mad now aint you.
Good.
I suspect the next dragon fly will be much better.

EDIT: Are you kidding me with this flipping the image upside down and then complaining about the sacred composition rules? lmao. If nothing else , this was indeed funny. Next time try to photoshop the dragon fly with a cigar in his mouth.
Ho ho. Just when I thought I was beginning to seriously not like you!! I like this response - instead of being offended by the image flip, you laughed. I like that. We can still be friends!!

And you are quite right about picking me up on the flash - my major fault, in my own eyes, is not thinking through all the possible options when I am about to take a pic - um, sorry, a photograph. I will confess that I didn't even think to use a flash, and I have been guilty of that kind of lack of thinking and just clicking many times. Just as I have already confessed, with this particular pic, that I didn't read the viewfinder to see the high shutter speed, and traded that down to get a smaller aperture.

But, the flash would still not have fixed up the error in focal point, I don't think. But you still seem to want to knock the poor old tripod - I can be very careful with a tripod, moving carefully away, adjusting, and moving carefully back in. This particular little dragonfly actually stayed put a long while. Even after all my looming (leaning) over him, then dropping and kneeling, and then sitting on my bum and raising my knees. He was still around when my poor old bod had had enough and I had to get up and leave. (Getting up was fun, too after all that - my now much-mentioned son would have had another set of giggles at my expense!!)

The six likes?? I strongly suspect I owe that, not to my photography, but to you - I suspect close to half, at least, if not more, were in sympathy after your comments! Credit where credit is due, huh!!

So I now have to consider how my budget will go, re a flash, a focus rail, some gadgets to enable good positioning of the flash (hey, how about a Lume Cube).

And you and I will have to remain friends and agree to disagree about framing on this particular pic of mine - in this case, I still like the angle, whatever else I may agree was bad with this pic. But we can still talk.

Peace!!!

03-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
must have focused on the back/thorax whatever, instead of the eyes
I checked one of the on-line depth of field calculators, and a lens set at 300mm and f5.6 with a subject 2 feet away gives you a DOF of less than 1mm (0.039", roughly 1/32")!! You may have indeed focused on the eyes, but unless you are a granite statue you're going to wobble more than that. The point is that no matter how good your 'shooting like a sniper' skills are, you were up against the limitations of optics and human anatomy. I'm too new to the KP to have a feel for the abilities of its 5-axis SR. Perhaps a 'catch-in-focus' setting would have nailed the eyes with single spot AF.

Your second image proves you are perfectly capable of grabbing a super-nice dragonfly shot. Some people don't seem to realize that at 76, or in my case 65, getting up off the ground to walk back to the car for a tripod is not necessarily such an easy thing to do. Even if you know that chances are the dragonfly would come back if spooked, as is my experience too. In your first image you took the opportunity that presented itself; nothing wrong with that.

You are good with spreadsheets. I have used an on-line DOF calculator to make up spreadsheets of aperture vs. subject distance DOF results for some of my most-used lenses. I printed them and keep them in my camera bag. They come in quite handy for reminding me what the lens's capabilities are.
03-26-2020, 02:33 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Ho ho. Just when I thought I was beginning to seriously not like you!! I like this response - instead of being offended by the image flip, you laughed. I like that. We can still be friends!!

And you are quite right about picking me up on the flash - my major fault, in my own eyes, is not thinking through all the possible options when I am about to take a pic - um, sorry, a photograph. I will confess that I didn't even think to use a flash, and I have been guilty of that kind of lack of thinking and just clicking many times. Just as I have already confessed, with this particular pic, that I didn't read the viewfinder to see the high shutter speed, and traded that down to get a smaller aperture.

But, the flash would still not have fixed up the error in focal point, I don't think. But you still seem to want to knock the poor old tripod - I can be very careful with a tripod, moving carefully away, adjusting, and moving carefully back in. This particular little dragonfly actually stayed put a long while. Even after all my looming (leaning) over him, then dropping and kneeling, and then sitting on my bum and raising my knees. He was still around when my poor old bod had had enough and I had to get up and leave. (Getting up was fun, too after all that - my now much-mentioned son would have had another set of giggles at my expense!!)

The six likes?? I strongly suspect I owe that, not to my photography, but to you - I suspect close to half, at least, if not more, were in sympathy after your comments! Credit where credit is due, huh!!

So I now have to consider how my budget will go, re a flash, a focus rail, some gadgets to enable good positioning of the flash (hey, how about a Lume Cube).

And you and I will have to remain friends and agree to disagree about framing on this particular pic of mine - in this case, I still like the angle, whatever else I may agree was bad with this pic. But we can still talk.

Peace!!!

lol, Yeah I kinda like you too.
Ok the part about the angle. It's wrong. lol, lets not antagonize ourselves with that debate any more.

Framing is completely off. But anyway.
To get started out the right way.......there are a number of macro ring flash units found on ebay. Some with adapters.
Make sure you adapt for your lens. If you could find the Pentax system, that would be a great option, sadly, they are hard to come by and the people who have them aren't selling them.

A yongnuo flash would go a long way too. It's affordable and pretty good quality. The people who have them, like them.
This would be a good start, for occasions such as the above " dragon fly doing a hand stand image"
But be warned, using flash can be tricky. There is a learning curve. But in the end you will be pleased.
And guess what, I'll even help you. How about them apples?
Oh yeah, getting up off the ground is always fun after sitting there for an hour contorting yourself 6 ways from Sunday and sometimes not moving at all.
One of the highlights of my image capturing day.Nothing can possibly be more agonizing fun. And I'm a lot younger than you.
A shot of whiskey or two at the end of the day, tames the after effect nicely.
Be well.
03-30-2020, 01:05 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@Lightspeed and @K2 to K50

If you two don't stop the bickering you'll both find yourselves banned from the thread.
Also, this is "Post your Photos" not the "Critique" section. For that, go to: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/41-photo-critique/