Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
The corner of the Territory
Lens: Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Camera: K3 Photo Location: ACT, Australia ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: RobG, 03-29-2020, 06:27 AM

The corner of the Territory
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

Australia's Federal capital is in it's own territory in a similar fashion to the District of Columbia, but it's much bigger. The amount of land was chosen to include everything Canberra would need to survive independently as an entity. There's mountains for timber and a water catchment, plenty of land for suburbs, and a river running through the core which was dammed to make a lake as the centrepiece. Mount Coree sits on the Northwest corner of the Territory, half in New South Wales, and half in the Australian Capital Territory. At 1,421 metres (4,662 feet) above sea level, the peak is quite tall for Australia, where the tallest peak on the mainland is only 2,228m. Mount Coree's peak is quite narrow, and has a huge cliff on the NSW side. This view covers Southwest to Northeast.
Views: 471
03-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rob, this is an excellent panorama of your beautiful mountains. I was able to go to the Green Mountains when I was in Sydney last month, and the rock formations and forest are fantastic. I was so happy to time it after all of the fires were extinguished.
03-29-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Rob, this is an excellent panorama of your beautiful mountains. I was able to go to the Green Mountains when I was in Sydney last month, and the rock formations and forest are fantastic. I was so happy to time it after all of the fires were extinguished.
Thanks Todd! I hope your trip wasn't ruined by the pandemic. I guess you mean the Blue Mountains? The sandstones in the Sydney basin have spectacular colours, and the water and wind wear the rock into fascinating shapes. Glad you got to see it! There is a place called Green Mountains in Queensland in Lamington National Park which is one of my favourite places in the world. The mountains there are ancient remnants of a huge shield volcano, and most of what is left is covered in rainforest.
03-29-2020, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I guess you mean the Blue Mountains?
Oops How quickly we forget...I even have a photo folder called the Blue Mountains. We were lucky, we made the trip just in time and had no problems.

03-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Oops How quickly we forget...I even have a photo folder called the Blue Mountains. We were lucky, we made the trip just in time and had no problems.
Good to hear that you enjoyed the holiday! Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the Blue Mountains online. I had to remove a lot when I cancelled my pro membership of Flickr due to the changes in the TOS.