Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Palm Sunday, but no Mass
Lens: Pentax smc DA 50mm f/1.8 Lens Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Petersburg, Iowa 
Posted By: mroeder75, 04-05-2020, 10:18 PM

Baptisimal font where our daughter was baptized over 24 years ago. I appreciate it is sideways here, but click on each sideways image. They are upright in Flickr.

Not my best work. But the view is worth a peek. The only light was natural lighting through stained glass windows.

I think the flash was angled so again, not my best work, but I thought it would be worthwhile looking at if you have no occasion to be here.

Each pew is carved at each end like this one. The work the German transplants, and their children, put into this place is amazing. I recall my father-in-law showing me a family hx book from a family reunion, which described some of his ancestors coming over in the 1850s, and since they arrive here too late to build a cabin, they stayed in a cave over the their first winter. He said another family stayed in the cave the following year. We usually get temps from 10 to 30 below F in this area. That's too cold to survive unless you know what you are doing.

Joseph's altar (Mary's husband) - Grooms stand on this side.

Not sure who this lady is. My wife thinks it is St. Rita, who her mom is named for, but she really isn't sure.

This human suffering is about 2,000 years old, but this artwork depicts the most egregious of human suffering, and we can each empathize in it.

The angel comes to Mary. They had to put it somewhere -- it is below a side altar, near the floor.

The large statue I believe to be St. Paul since the church is Sts. Peter and Paul, and Paul should be on the right. The guys above are five of the other apostles.

Did I say it is Palm Sunday 2020?

I believe this guy is St. Peter on the left of the altar, and the other 5 apostles above.

Even if you are Jewish or Muslim, we all know who is on high in the Catholic faith.

A poignant reminder of suffering, and we don't need too much reminder now. Suffering is part of the human condition.

Sts. Peter and Paul Church, Petersburg, Iowa, in an unincorporated town of about 200 pop. in NE Iowa.

Due to COVID-19, church services are prohibited in Iowa. However, Catholic churches are open if you wish to pray, or, like me, take photographs. This church is one of the most ornate churches you will see. We were here about 45-minutes. A local woman came in for 5-minutes, either to pray, or see what on earth we were doing here so long. She left. Then 3-people with Wisconsin license plates appeared. I would guess they had family history in the area, or how would they know what was here to be seen?

The area was settled by German Catholics. The soil is rich. The church was built 1904-06. As you can see, and my photos do not do justice to, it is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Four miles east of here is St. Boniface Church, New Vienna, Iowa in a town of over 400, and the church is larger, and almost as ornate. I see in the preview some of these photos are on their side. Just click and go to the flickr page because they are upright there.

Last edited by mroeder75; 04-05-2020 at 11:26 PM.
Views: 450
04-06-2020, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lovely church with a thorough and well done sequence.

Thanks.