Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Spring peak discharge due to snowmelt.
Lens: DA 55-300 mm HD Camera: Pentax K20d Photo Location: Quebec, CANADA Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: RICHARD L., 04-25-2020, 04:10 PM

Batiscan River yearly peak discharge. Clear skies lend this deep blue color to water. Pentax K20 + DA 55-300 mm HD @ 210 mm FL and f/11.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Views: 297
04-25-2020, 05:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great colors.
04-26-2020, 07:19 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice action in the water. The blue "feels" wrong to me - is it the sky reflection or post-processing?
04-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Richard, I like this one pulled back a little as well. I like seeing the upstream water and far shore.

04-26-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We usually don't discuss personal preferences on photo threads.
The critique thread is for that.

I've had many photos where even the majority of the posters disliked my processing, And I once spent 45 minutes getting the thread's approval, the problem at the end being I still like my original processing best. You can spend a lot of time pleasing others, to produce something you don't even like.

That being said, I've been looking at some of my early processing, because I'm archiving 10 years, over 50,000 photos at the moment (what a nightmare, from now on I'm archiving at the end of each year, I'll never leave it 10 years again) and a lot of my early processing was over-saturated by my current standards.

In 2008 I was absolutey in love with saturation and high contrast.
At the same time, I took a fall colours photo of a glorious , brilliant Algonquin Park landscape that needed next to no work, no bump in contrast, no bump in saturation, the picture was fair representation of the scene, straight from the camera. People on the canoeing form claimed I'd over processed. Sometimes people who aren't there simply can't accept that. It's not you processing they are at issue with, it's the way things look in nature.

But we also have a tendency, you are struck by the blue in the water, you want the blue in the image to affect people the same way the original scene impressed you (and which was why you took the picture.) How you do that is personal choice.

The old adage "I don't shoot how it looks, I shoot how it feels." comes to mind.

To me, I look at that and think.. that image is a K20D thing. When my images looked like that I was shooting with a K20D. There's a lot more nuance in a K-1 file.

Last edited by normhead; 04-26-2020 at 10:41 AM.
04-26-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I rechecked my picture for color accuracy : I didn't touch either "hue" or "color" on my Mac, the K20 produced this vivid blue without outside intervention. It is true I adjust all my cameras to the "VIVID" or "VIBRANT" setting as I usually shoot only landscapes and architecture. Yesterday we had a very clear and cloudless day, water is very pristine in Canada without any hint of pollution (except during Spring you can drink directly from this river), so maybe the water seems "too blue" but not from post-processing other than the camera's JPEG shooting settings. If you check the snow in the background, it is pure white without any blue tinge and so is the churning water below the cascade. So the blue originates really from the sky reflecting in the water. I have other pictures taken with either the K1 or the K5 of this same river and, if my memory serves me well, the water always seemed this saturated too. I'll try to return to this site later in June and shoot with my K3 and 645Z with different color renderings and I will investigate this particular topic. Sorry if I hurt anybody's sensibilities ...

Regards

P.S. Thank you, Norm. As a fellow Canadian, you understand we are blessed with an almost virgin nature here. As for the K20, it sat for a few years gathering dust and I just started using it again with my new DA 55-300 mm HD, maybe the Samsung sensor's color palette is indeed "passť" ...

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 04-28-2020 at 12:26 PM.
04-28-2020, 07:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I was just going through some files from 2011 when I was shooting a K20D and low and behold, there are those K20D blues.

04-28-2020, 09:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Norm. We could write a sad song about "The K20 blues" ... lol! I just exchanged my K20 body for my K3 and I will try to take similar pictures of water with the DA 55-300 mm HD to see the difference in the color palettes of each.

Regards !

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 04-28-2020 at 12:28 PM.
04-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Thank you Norm. We could write a sad song about "The K20 blues" ... lol! I just exchanged my K20 body for my K3 and I will try to take similar pictures of water to see the difference in the color palettes on each.

Regards !
I clearly remember that after I got my K-3 the K20D felt so sluggish. I'm sure you'll be impressed,