Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Hour Long Squirrel Photo Shoot
Lens: 55-300 PLM Camera: K-S2 Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: ehrwien, 04-25-2020, 04:21 PM

I hope this is right here, it's my first time posting in this section. I have loads of photos from a recent photo session with one of our garden squirrels and find it hard to sort them out because I feel at least some of those are worth sharing, and I don't want to clutter the threads where I usually post in. So, consider yourselves warned, you're gonna see one and the same squirrel (at least I think so; maybe another one is featured as well) from a few angles and distances. I myself have been shooting those for the whole time through an open cellar window just above ground level.
I think all of those were at 300mm and wide open at f/6.3, with shutter speeds between 1/160 and 1/320 in TAv, edited to my taste in DxO PhotoLab 3 and most cropped by about 50% to correct the composition for me always using the central focus point and not reframing adequately.

Up the Tree

In the Tree

Snack in the Tree

The careful observer may have noticed that it's not the same tree as before. I'm just trying to smuggle this one in here because it wouldn't fit anywhere else.

Down the Tree

Safe?

This one is an experienced squirrel model. It gave me a few seconds to get the shot at each stage...

... and routinely went through all the poses

And... LOOK NOW!

Attentive

For the next shots it seems to have expected me to come closer, but I wouldn't fit through the window, so the next two are 100% crops (on flickr at least; don't know how the math works out for the embedded pictures here)

Juicy Snack

I don't know exactly what it had hidden in the grass last fall and gotten back to daylight that day, but it seemed to contain some kind of sugary nectar (?)

Tasty Juice

Squirrels are cold-blooded like reptiles, right? They have to charge up their body temperature every once in a while in the sun, don't they?

Backlit 1

Backlit 2

Backlit 3: Hide and Seek

And now for the grand finale, come very close

I can see you too

Thanks for your time, Mrs. Squirrel, and I'll make sure to mail you the pictures as agreed... what do you mean, you want to be paid in kind? Oh well...

Enjoing last Fall's Nuts

I think that last one may be my best squirrel shot yet. Shortly after a cat came by and ended our photo shoot.

Thanks for watching and even though this is not posted in the Critique section of the forum, I'd be happy to read some of your thoughts.
Views: 509
04-26-2020, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have perhaps the best squirrel model (s) in several generations . Definitely much to appreciate in this series .
04-26-2020, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are excellent images.
The good thing about squirrel models is they'll work for peanuts.
I'd give you the Rupert Seal of Approval, but I don't have one.
Be sure and ad it to the Squirrel shots thread with a copy paste. Thats where squirrel lovers hang out.

Got Squirrel Shots? (In memorial of Rupert) - Page 178 - PentaxForums.com
04-26-2020, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I'd be happy to read some of your thoughts.
It isn't like you can boss the squirrel around, so you have to make the best of what the squirrel gives you. I think you did a great job, the backlit poses are a really nice change.

04-27-2020, 06:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

I've not tried to bribe the squirrels yet in exchange for some nice, close poses. They do eagerly go for peanuts whenever we put some in the bird feeder on the other side of the house though, so I might keep that in mind for the future.

I have posted some into the Squirrel Thread now as well. I would have posted there in the first place, but I couldn't decide which to post and didn't want to put all in, which is why I chose to post them here.