Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Different results obtained with the Pentax K1 vs the K3, San Bernardino, California.
Lens: FA* 28-70 f/2.8/ FA 35 f/2 Camera: Pentax K1 / K3 Photo Location: San Bernardino, CA 
Posted By: RICHARD L., 04-28-2020, 10:42 AM

While traveling on the "Rim of the World" in 2018, I stopped at 2 distinct vista points located one near the other (about 4 kilometers between them) and took 2 pictures of San Bernardino, California. The Pentax K1 picture (the upper one) was taken with the FA* 28-70 mm f/2.8 lens @ f/9 (I may have been using a C.P.L. but I don't remember) at the easternmost vista point while the K3 picture (the lower one) was taken with the FA 35 mm f/2 lens @ f/10 at the westernmost vista point. The K1 shows more life-like colors, very high sharpness and a very detailed canvas while the K3 shows a different, more bluish rendering also with great sharpness but with less apparent details (I underexposed 1 stop to try to cut through the hazy smog over the valley). Unless you compare both cameras on a similar scene, you could never even guess they could produce such different images.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 04-29-2020 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Adopting more appropriate terminology.
Views: 1,089
04-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the comparison .
04-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #3

So k1 wins
04-28-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
These pictures were taken in 2018 while I was getting accustomed to this "then new" K1. I traveled West again in 2019 and I used only the K1 with a new DFA 28-105 HD mm zoom. This camera and lens fit my needs perfectly, really.

Regards

04-28-2020, 05:33 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To make a comparison... you have to use the same spot, as close as possilbe to the same time an an equivalent focal length. One is shooting through 4km more haze than the other, which probably accounts for your results.
04-28-2020, 06:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello Norm !

I was not psychologically geared to make clinically careful comparisons when I took those pictures. It was just a "spur of the moment" thing. I had both cameras with me and I took the upper picture with the K1 when I first saw San Bernardino in the distance from a public "Caltrans" vista point, then I moved on. Then there was this Restaurant a few kilometers away with a nice view down the Valley and I decided I would use the K3 at that second private vista point. Both places were just above the smog layer coming from Los Angeles. I was camping at the "Dogwood" campground near Lake Arrowhead at the time. The K1 was mounted with an FA* 28-70 mm f/2.8 set at 35 mm FL and f/9. The K3 was sporting an FA 35 mm f/2 (equivalent to a normal 52 mm on FF) and I didn't think for a second the 2 pictures would turn out so different. I was revisiting these archived pictures today and it really hit me how these 2 cameras imprint their own personality on your final results. I've never been obsessed with doing exacting tests, I just happened to have those 2 pictures taken from a similar viewpoint, taken moments apart with 2 different cameras and producing such dramatically different results. Thank you for your interest.

Regards.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 05-03-2020 at 06:17 PM.
04-28-2020, 08:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While they are both really terrific captures, it is by far no secret that the Pentax K-1 is just about the best Landscape body out there. This was stated and made public by a Mr. Tony Northrup, a

very well known and successful professional photographer. Thanks again for sharing such awesome images, they are very enjoyable.

TT

04-28-2020, 11:17 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it's best not to call something a comparison when it isn't, Richard!

You have to have the same scene at the same time with the same lens. Especially since the first image probably has a CPL on!
04-29-2020, 02:54 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K1 + DFA 28-105 mm

K1 + DFA 28-105 mm

K1 + DFA 28-105 mm

K1 + FA* 28-70 mm

People ask sometimes "Should I upgrade to a Pentax K1 or to a medium format digital camera?" ... Better instruments give you more potential to capture great images.

I started out in digital photography with a K10 and crummy kit lenses in 2007, moved to a K20 as soon as it became available, then to a K5 in 2010 and to a K3 in 2014 all the while buying better and better lenses too. I made the move to FF in 2017 with the K1 and then I got an opportunity to acquire a 645Z demo for a great price. This is the story of human endeavor, you strive to attain the best you can, always.

Thank you all for your very pertinent comments.

Regards

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 04-30-2020 at 08:59 AM.
05-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The backside of that is
Full frame or APS-c, you be the judge. - PentaxForums.com

In most images you can't tell the difference.

In the above set, I couldn't tell the difference. Once the exif was stripped I couldn't tell the difference and I took the pictures. I had to look at my notes. So, I'm still looking for the image where the K-1 gives me the best image. So the concept of the thread interests me, but I've yet to be able to show the people will prefer K-1 images. I was hoping you beat me to it.

I'm sure there must be some circumstance where it's true, I just can't demonstrate what it might be. It's that elusive.

At screen size 3840x 2160, I can't even tell the difference between photos taken with my wife's K-5 and my K-1. And that was a landscape.

We sat there flipping back band forth between the two and it was impossible for either of us to say which was which. A lot of the difference is invisible to the naked eye. It's there you know one has more lw/ph...but the image doesn't take advantage of the difference..

So if yo do get a good example let me know. It's a point of interest.

Last edited by normhead; 05-02-2020 at 02:12 PM.
05-02-2020, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They were taken with two different bodies, two different lenses, and (possibly) one had a polarizer.
In any side by side comparison there needs to be only one variable.

This is an extreme example but..............
If a minivan runs a quarter mile down a 6% grade faster than a Camaro runs a quarter up a 6% grade that doesn't necessarily mean the minivan is a faster vehicle.

Last edited by Parallax; 05-02-2020 at 02:59 PM.
05-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

All in all, the Pentax K1 is really THE landscape camera compared to APS-C : more life-like colors, better details, more separation between focus planes. Short of Medium Format sizes, it is the most appropriate tool to capture vistas of the World. (Valley of Fire, Nevada, sunset)

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 05-03-2020 at 01:02 PM.
05-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote

All in all, the Pentax K1 is really THE landscape camera compared to APS-C : more life-like colors, better details, more separation between focus planes. Short of Medium Format sizes, it is the most appropriate tool to capture vistas of the World. (Valley of Fire, Nevada, sunset)
Are you talking about straight out of camera jpgs? Because I'm reasonably sure you could get nearly identical colors out of a K-3 and a K-1 by tweaking in-camera settings or developing RAW files.

05-03-2020, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
They were taken with two different bodies, two different lenses, and (possibly) one had a polarizer.
In any side by side comparison there needs to be only one variable.

This is an extreme example but..............
If a minivan runs a quarter mile down a 6% grade faster than a Camaro runs a quarter up a 6% grade that doesn't necessarily mean the minivan is a faster vehicle.
I like your analogy. Now that's something I can wrap my mind around.
05-03-2020, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Before knowing what my K1 could deliver, I liked the results obtained with my K3 very much. Not that the K3 is bad but I think the K1 is in a league of its own.

P.S. How do you know I drive a minivan ... lol! (Just kidding)