Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

A bird I've been chasing all summer.
Posted By: Peter Zack, 10-30-2008, 02:35 PM

Well this started in the spring and the first time I got a decent picture It drove a bit of an obsession to try and get more.
First was K10D and FA*300mm f4.5

This was a bit lucky as I was focused on the back bird and the second one dropped in just as I fired.

The following 3 were K20D and same lens. This one was being the "guard dog" while the other one was feeding.

Views: 2,634
10-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Peter, Maybe I could send you a cat It'll cut down on the chase.

actually, a decent bluebird is on my list also, but they are a little scarce in toronto this year, I think west nile got'em

10-30-2008, 06:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'll bite Gary. "bird" could mean a few things like imprisonment as in "Birdtime" or giving the "bird", mature as in "old bird". At least "bugger" wasn't in the title

So I'm not quite sure of the meaning.

Thanks for looking and the comments.
The bird on the pumpkin is fantastic. Did you put some peanut butter on the stem? How did you capture him there, that is a one in a million opportunity shot.

Gary was meaning "bird" as in girls, chicks, babes, honeys, sweet ladies - LOL Imprisonment???? ........oh ok, I think I understand.......that would come later..... we normally call that marriage - LOL

Whats the definition of a bachelor...... a guy that doesn't make the same mistake once!

Just kidding,
10-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just wow, i was gonna make a smart a** remark as you can find them at the Rogers Stadium during baseball season
10-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sweet bay Quote
I thought that in England a bird was a girl.

GREAT shots. Especially the last two.
Thanks SW. Yeah I figured that's what Gary was talking about. That type of chasing is long since past for me and I'm happy with that.
Thanks for looking and commenting

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Woo Blue Jay, very nice, I have seen some of them but they usually flying away from my direction..
You are right Vic. I have plenty of blurry shots of the back end Thanks.

10-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Peter, Maybe I could send you a cat It'll cut down on the chase.

actually, a decent bluebird is on my list also, but they are a little scarce in toronto this year, I think west nile got'em
I sure hope not Lowell. I got a better beamer for my AF540 a couple of days after this was shot. So I think it will get a little easier this winter for some decent shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
The bird on the pumpkin is fantastic. Did you put some peanut butter on the stem? How did you capture him there, that is a one in a million opportunity shot.

Gary was meaning "bird" as in girls, chicks, babes, honeys, sweet ladies - LOL Imprisonment???? ........oh ok, I think I understand.......that would come later..... we normally call that marriage - LOL

Whats the definition of a bachelor...... a guy that doesn't make the same mistake once!

Just kidding,
Nope, no lures were used in this photo presentation! Other than the food they were looking for. It was a Halloween display and I had been there a couple of times to check it out. I just hid nearby and waited for them to land.

Thanks for the comments. Funny too
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Just wow, i was gonna make a smart a** remark as you can find them at the Rogers Stadium during baseball season
Thanks Clicker. Go ahead and make all the smart ass comments. But they have all gone south to the Florida golf courses and I would say they all caught some type of virus as well this year. The "no runs" virus. Or the "we suck" virus.
10-30-2008, 06:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks Clicker. Go ahead and make all the smart ass comments. But they have all gone south to the Florida golf courses and I would say they all caught some type of virus as well this year. The "no runs" virus. Or the "we suck" virus.
Toronto still has a baseball team?
10-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #22

fantastic shots they look amazing, I also agree with most people that the pumpkin ones are excellent
10-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
Toronto still has a baseball team?
Sure we do. We also have another team, somewhat associated with the colours of fall, simply because they are dying and won't last the winter.

I think they are called the leafs

10-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #24
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bickerdike Quote
fantastic shots they look amazing, I also agree with most people that the pumpkin ones are excellent
Thanks Bickerdike. Welcome to the forums as well. Nice to see another member from Oz.
Sure we do. We also have another team, somewhat associated with the colours of fall, simply because they are dying and won't last the winter.

Yes the long suffering Toronto fans and the games always sell out
10-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Yes the long suffering Toronto fans and the games always sell out
Sadly I must admit that being a Texas boy I've never gotten into hockey. I've tried. Maybe I'll try to get out to a Houston Aeros game and give it another shot. Yes, I am aware that the Leafs are an NHL team and I am aware that some of them hockey teams have migrated down here.

Peter, next summer I'd like to see some shots of the other Blue Jays. Although I don't know if those could come close to topping the ones already posted.
10-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #26
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Wayne, The other Blue Jays are 1800 Kms from where I have my ass parked right now So I'll have to leave that up to Lowell or some of the other Toronto residents.

Hockey is a great game. Of course as a Canuck, I was born with skates on and played the game to Jr level. Hard hitting, fast and agressive. Tougher than most other sports (except some of the stuff in the land of OZ). There's nothing like being hit against the boards by a 6'2" 225 Lb guy moving at 40 mph. Or a frozen rock hitting you (anywhere) at 80+Mph.

Btw my comment didn't mean I thought you were unaware of the Baseball or hockey teams. It was a joke. So was Lowell's comment. We're all tired of the richest team in Hockey that totally sucks every year. This year is no different. People won't even say the team name out loud unless they are drunk.
10-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Wayne, The other Blue Jays are 1800 Kms from where I have my ass parked right now So I'll have to leave that up to Lowell or some of the other Toronto residents.

Hockey is a great game. Of course as a Canuck, I was born with skates on and played the game to Jr level. Hard hitting, fast and agressive. Tougher than most other sports (except some of the stuff in the land of OZ). There's nothing like being hit against the boards by a 6'2" 225 Lb guy moving at 40 mph. Or a frozen rock hitting you (anywhere) at 80+Mph.

Btw my comment didn't mean I thought you were unaware of the Baseball or hockey teams. It was a joke. So was Lowell's comment. We're all tired of the richest team in Hockey that totally sucks every year. This year is no different. People won't even say the team name out loud unless they are drunk.
Peter, I wouldn't take it any other way. I may not understand or have an appreciation for hockey, but I am a sports fan and I live in Houston, Texas. We've has one major pro sports team win the championship since I've been alive and that was back in the early 90's. I'm a fan and keep rooting. As for getting slammed by a 6'2" 225 Lb guy moving at 40 mph while on a frozen rock, I think I'll pass. Ice here is something that is made in a box in the kitchen. We dipped to the lo 40's F last few days and that's cold enough for me.

My apologies for taking your thread way off topic. Back to the terrific bird images and comments to those.
10-30-2008, 09:54 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I have an as yet untested theory that the most efficient way to photograph Blue Jays requires an assistant and is best managed in the Spring...

You, armed with your camera, should sit back somewhere comfortable at least fifty feet away - while your assistant positions themselves directly under the branches where an adult pair has nested and is rearing their young.
From your position you should be presented with a plethora of photo opportunities within mere minutes. If the birds are teaching their young to fly, you may need to bring extra SD cards - and a first aid kit for your assistant. That latter bit is likely the reason I have yet to find an accommodating assistant to test this theory.

Great shots, Peter. I got completely skunked by them this year.
10-30-2008, 10:37 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Oh bother the winged variety

My favorite is the second as too the K20D ones truly magnificent

cheers
10-31-2008, 12:59 AM   #30
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Oh bother the winged variety

My favorite is the second as too the K20D ones truly magnificent

cheers
Looks like you and me were on the same age.