Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A bird I've been chasing all summer.
Posted By: Peter Zack, 10-30-2008, 02:35 PM

Well this started in the spring and the first time I got a decent picture It drove a bit of an obsession to try and get more.
First was K10D and FA*300mm f4.5

This was a bit lucky as I was focused on the back bird and the second one dropped in just as I fired.

The following 3 were K20D and same lens. This one was being the "guard dog" while the other one was feeding.

Views: 3,448
10-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Your patience paid off Peter, good job.
BTW, you know that the title would have a completely different meaning in England don't you? You bad boy.
10-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
JMR
Veteran Member

Very nice shots. I see birds learned the Hokey Pokey. Bow to your partner...Dosey do... What's this, I see in the last image someone eating our popcorn.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 10-30-2008 at 04:43 PM.
10-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Peter,
Excellent images! I have never figured out why such a common bird is so darn hard to
photograph. I have very few decent shots of blue jays in my files. The last 2 are my favorites

10-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Amazing shots, Peter! These are some of the best bird shots I think I've ever seen. Just amazing work, man
10-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice shots that remind me of Ontario. Thanks for sharing them.
10-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Very nice work Peter. Always enjoy your work. Very professional looking. The one on the pumpkin I really like. JIMBO

10-30-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not luck--decisive moment. The work paid off. Thanks for sharing.
10-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I'll bite Gary. "bird" could mean a few things like imprisonment as in "Birdtime" or giving the "bird", mature as in "old bird". At least "bugger" wasn't in the title

So I'm not quite sure of the meaning.

Thanks for looking and the comments.
10-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice shots Peter! I spent a lot of last summer trying to get a decent Goldfinch shot. Your bird is also on my list of things to shoot. Hope I can do as well as you did.

Cheers,

Tom G
10-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Peter those are somce really good blue bird shots. The last two are spectacular. Thanks for posting them.
10-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Very nice shots. I se that they learned the Hokey Pokey. Bow to your partner...Dosey do... JMR
Exactly. When I saw that shot it looked like they were getting ready to dance. Thanks for looking

QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
Peter,
Excellent images! I have never figured out why such a common bird is so darn hard to
photograph. I have very few decent shots of blue jays in my files. The last 2 are my favorites
They never sit still and I've been watching them in various places that I know they hang out in. They do a lot of stuff in pairs. So after some research I realized you have to look out for the "guard dog" Blue Jay. They mate for life and they stay together. So the one on the fence post was protecting the one feeding. The guarding one will call out to warn other birds and animals of predators. So if you can sneak up or hide from the one whose doing the guarding, you have a better chance of getting some shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by maritimer Quote
Amazing shots, Peter! These are some of the best bird shots I think I've ever seen. Just amazing work, man
Thanks I appreciate the look and comments
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Nice shots that remind me of Ontario. Thanks for sharing them.
No problem Robin, Thanks for dropping by and the comments. These sure are plentiful in Ont. as well.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 10-30-2008 at 04:47 PM.
10-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I thought that in England a bird was a girl.

GREAT shots. Especially the last two.
10-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Woo Blue Jay, very nice, I have seen some of them but they usually flying away from my direction..
10-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Very nice work Peter. Always enjoy your work. Very professional looking. The one on the pumpkin I really like. JIMBO
Thanks for the comments Jimbo. The 300 and K20D make an awesome combo.
QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
Not luck--decisive moment. The work paid off. Thanks for sharing.
Ah a little luck always comes into play. They didn't spot me for a whole 3 minutes. The one on the post finally realized I was there and tey were gone.
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Nice shots Peter! I spent a lot of last summer trying to get a decent Goldfinch shot. Your bird is also on my list of things to shoot. Hope I can do as well as you did.

Cheers,

Tom G
Tom I hear you. I have one shot of Goldfinches this year and it's not great. They are tougher than any other bird I've chased and I have to figure out a way to get some better shots of them.

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
Peter those are somce really good blue bird shots. The last two are spectacular. Thanks for posting them.
Thanks for having a look and the nice comments.