Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12 Likes  
Arizona Milky Way
Posted By: AZGMDale, 05-04-2020, 08:41 AM

Shot at 24mm. Processed in Lightroom CC, PS CC, Topaz Denoise AI, Luminar 3, and Topaz Sharpen AI. Been a while since I've done night shots (several years), so I'm sure this could be a lot better. It is sharp and noise free though. I'll look for a better foreground next time. After three years from switching from Nikon, I couldn't be happier with the K-1. It's image quality and dynamic range still impress me every time I use it. I love the features, menu layout, and outside button organization. I see B&H has a 9+ used one for $1400, so I may pick it up as a backup.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 1,126
05-06-2020, 07:02 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Understood, I was just curious. I get a little annoyed when I see people posting images online which are blended multiple exposures but trying to give the impression that they are single captures (and I'm not suggesting you did this, just mentioning that there's a lot of photos posted on social media which involved extensive work in Photoshop to create the final image from several source images). In the case of this image, the star tracer may not help much with a wide-angle lens anyway.
I am also not a fan of composite images. Nothing wrong with it at all, but it's not for me. I'm sure you looked at the EXIF data and saw it was a 15 sec. exposure @ 3200 ISO (24mm). This, combined with removing noise, and sharpening, produces a fairly sharp image...usually. But, if you want perfectly sharp stars, and sharp foreground landscape, a composite is pretty much the only way to go.

05-06-2020, 07:59 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AZGMDale Quote
I am also not a fan of composite images. Nothing wrong with it at all, but it's not for me. I'm sure you looked at the EXIF data and saw it was a 15 sec. exposure @ 3200 ISO (24mm). This, combined with removing noise, and sharpening, produces a fairly sharp image...usually. But, if you want perfectly sharp stars, and sharp foreground landscape, a composite is pretty much the only way to go.
Agreed, I prefer to take a photo if I can, rather than create an image in software. Image stacking is generally unavoidable for dimmer celestial objects, of course.
06-06-2020, 12:07 PM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shot at 24mm. Processed in Lightroom CC, PS CC, Topaz Denoise AI, Luminar 3, and Topaz Sharpen AI. Been a while since I've done night shots (several years), so I'm sure this could be a lot better. It is sharp and noise free though. I'll look for a better foreground next time. After three years from switching from Nikon, I couldn't be happier with the K-1. It's image quality and dynamic range still impress me every time I use it. I love the features, menu layout, and outside button organization. I see B&H has a 9+ used one for $1400, so I may pick it up as a backup.
Congratulations with this image. You at least know you can capture the night sky well with whatever foreground you decide to have in it.
07-01-2021, 05:44 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot, very sharp

07-01-2021, 06:01 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice. I don't like to make composite astro images either, but it's the only way I know of to get long exposure, pin point stars and a sharp foreground.
11-28-2023, 08:56 AM   #21

Beautiful! I have yet to get a milky way shot that I am really happy with. This gives me inspiration!