Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
8 Likes  #1
Remembering Kenzie (I'm on to archiving 2012).
Lens: DA 18-135 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Algonquin Park ISO: 100 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: normhead, 05-05-2020, 06:19 PM

Remembering Kenzie. (K-5 and DA 18-135)

Kenzie belonged to a couple of university students. It turned out a small apartment was a bad place for a border collie. So they gave her to us. The only issue was she had a grade 6 heart murmur and only had 18-24 moths to live. The vet said "don't do it", but we feel someone had to give the little dog a chance. After a couple days T called up her previous owners and asked if there was a plan B. There wasn't. She had a great 2 years with us.... she ran the house, she ran the woods, she was in charge wherever she went.
You couldn't look in your closet without her checking it to first to make sure everything was OK. You weren't allowed to use tinfoil or spray oils. Every item that came out of the kitchen oupboards had to be approved. Her parents were champions and she was the highest strung dog, I've ever seen.

So when I got to archiving my 2012 photos it was just like she was still here.

She was also the only dog aggressive enough to play with Tripper, and they were raucous teenagers together. After she died we got in touch with the breeder, and Tia is one of her sisters' pups, so she was Tia's aunt. Tia is a much more manageable dog. Although the breeder Gerald told us she was the best herder of her litter and she was wasted coming to us instead of going to a working farm.

Pictures from typical walk, you're just walking around enjoying the walk,, and then the fight starts.

At first I thought they would kill each other.

Ha ha, I got you by the ear.

When ever one got hurt they'd stop, give each other a little lick, then start up again.

Man that was fun.

She was a little dog but she filled the house. Tripper had 15 pounds on her, but just barely held his own.

Last edited by normhead; 05-05-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Views: 487
05-05-2020, 06:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Remembering Kenzie. (K-5 and DA 18-135)

Kenzie belonged to a couple of university students. It turned out a small apartment was a bad place for a border collie. So they gave her to us. The only issue was she had a grade 6 heart murmur and only had 18-24 moths to live. The vet said "don't do it", but we feel someone had to give the little dog a chance. After a couple days T called up her previous owners and asked if there was a plan B. There wasn't. She had a great 2 years with us.... she ran the house, she ran the woods, she was in charge wherever she went.
You couldn't look in your closet without her checking it to first to make sure everything was OK. You weren't allowed to use tinfoil or spray oils. Every item that came out of the kitchen oupboards had to be approved. Her parents were champions and she was the highest strung dog, I've ever seen.

So when I got to archiving my 2012 photos it was just like she was still here.

She was also the only dog aggressive enough to play with Tripper, and they were raucous teenagers together. After she died we got in touch with the breeder, and Tia is one of her sisters' pups, so she was Tia's aunt. Tia is a much more manageable dog. Although the breeder Gerald told us she was the best herder of her litter and she was wasted coming to us instead of going to a working farm.

Pictures from typical walk, you're just walking around enjoying the walk,, and then the fight starts.

At first I thought they would kill each other.

Ha ha, I got you by the ear.

When ever one got hurt they'd stop, give each other a little lick, then start up again.

Man that was fun.

She was a little dog but she filled the house. Tripper had 15 pounds on her, but just barely held his own.
Interesting images, Norm and nice story. Sounds like a dedicated friend! The Good Die Young!
05-05-2020, 06:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely images and tale Norm. Thanks for sharing.
05-05-2020, 07:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It sounds like what time she had left she enjoyed so very pleasing to hear.

05-06-2020, 05:07 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Interesting images, Norm and nice story. Sounds like a dedicated friend! The Good Die Young!
Thanks for commenting.

---------- Post added 05-06-20 at 08:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Lovely images and tale Norm. Thanks for sharing.
A was thinking afterwards I should've posted a few of her when she wasn't impersonating a Tasmanian devil.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
It sounds like what time she had left she enjoyed so very pleasing to hear.
She made the most of every minute.
05-06-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Always enjoy your dog images - this group is great as you provide the back story.

I can relate a little as I took in a rescue blue merle collie many decades ago - only had her for about 6 months before passing her to a family in a similar situation to your own - rural property with lots of space - she soon went on to have a litter to a neighboring farmer's standard working dog border collie - would have liked one of those puppies had I been settled and had the space.

Thank you for sharing - would enjoy a picture essay for each of your pack...
05-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A touching narrative Norm .

05-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Thanks for commenting.
A was thinking afterwards I should've posted a few of her when she wasn't impersonating a Tasmanian devil.
Nah, these are perfect!
05-06-2020, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

it is great that you folks were able to give her a home

and she repaid you with giving you memories

sounds like you both got a great deal

thank you for sharing
05-06-2020, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter