Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Helios 44-M - first test shots...
Posted By: Igilligan, 10-31-2008, 12:41 PM

Ok so after buying the Jupiter 9 85mm lens, my LBA has taken on an international component....
I just picked up the Helios 44-m 58mm F2 lens. I believe I read it was the kit
lens on the Practika's back in the day. I got it as an afterthought in a two lens deal from Jay. (actually was wanting the CZ Jena)
So I was not expecting much of the 'kit lens', but I am actually liking it just fine.

It has been raining off an on since I got it and overcast on the dark side,
so these shots are less than "stunning" but it seems pretty sharp wide open and also seems to focus very easy...
I definately, probably, think I like it better than my SMC A 50 F2 for wide open shots.

The first two are a rose at F2 and F4

F2

F4

Cat at F2 and F5

Now just some shots to see the OOF areas

A crop of a quick schnaportrait shot... dirty face and all!

Halloween pumpkin and traditional watermelon design by the 6 year old Human Tornado F8... sharp

Two indoor shots with some funky kitchen lighting...

And you know I am going to have to stick the Raynox 250 on it to see how it does as a 'go-to in a pinch' macro lens

Ok that is way to much info... but if you are looking for a cheap 58mm F2 lens...
You could do much worse than this one.

Last edited by Igilligan; 10-31-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Views: 13,080
10-31-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Gus I'm so glad you posted these today. I bought this lens with a Spotmatic and a Lentar on eBay a few weeks ago and finally just today took a sizable number of shots with it. I have a question for you. On the mount side of my lens there's a pin that opens and closes the aperture to the size opening set with the ring. However, with my adaptor this pin is not pushed in by anything and the aperture stays at wide open all the time, regardless of what I set it at. Does yours do this and if so how did you overcome it to be able to have different apertures besides f/2?

So I was only shooting wide open today but I still liked what I got.
And nice shots by the way.

Last edited by mel; 10-31-2008 at 07:21 PM.
10-31-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Igilligan

Try the A/M switch

Hi Mel,

There is a silver switch on the side of the lens

If it is on A, you are wide open all the time... If you go into M you should be able to green button meter...

You can use it to focus wide open and then click it M for your metering.

Let me know if that works... I did the same thing, plus I was in A mode on the camera and forgot to throw it into M mode.
10-31-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gus, great run through. If I had to choose one it would be difficult but the last one is a stand out. JIMBO

10-31-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

I must have a different model because mine doesn't have that switch. It's the first thing I usually look for in these old lenses to make sure it's on M. My lens is a Helios-44M-6 if that means anything. Darn. I don't want to tape the pin down or anything and risk introducing something icky to the inside of my camera.
10-31-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
Igilligan

Thanks Jimbo

I am hooked on that raynox on my old primes... It is a great piece of glass for 50 bucks.

thanks
10-31-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

Wow, no modern lens can beat that! Impressive! And you photos are beautiful, all of them! Nice compositions, nice color!

10-31-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
Igilligan

Thanks Ole

You are too kind... I do think it is pretty cool what these old lenses can do... But Jay took that fungused up SMC tak 50 and shoot some incredible shots....

Thanks again for the kind words....
10-31-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Impressive

Pentax users are probably the only shooters i know of that can discover amazing glass in the SLR realm.
10-31-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I must have a different model because mine doesn't have that switch. It's the first thing I usually look for in these old lenses to make sure it's on M. My lens is a Helios-44M-6 if that means anything. Darn. I don't want to tape the pin down or anything and risk introducing something icky to the inside of my camera.
Mel it is different than mine... Mine is just a 44-M no six at the end.

So you are in M mode on the camera and it will not get a green button exposure?
10-31-2008, 08:26 PM   #11
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Mel it is different than mine... Mine is just a 44-M no six at the end.

So you are in M mode on the camera and it will not get a green button exposure?
Oh I can green button, but the aperture will only stay at f/2. I can move the ring all I want but the blades won't move unless that pin on the mount surface is depressed. However, there is nothing on the camera to depress it. When mounting the lens to the camer with the adaptor, the pin protrudes into the body of the camera and is not in contact with anything. I need to find a way to push it in and hold it there. Then it should work like a typical M lens, with the blades opening and closing with the ring, and I can green button at any aperture.

Oh well. It does take nice shots at f/2. I'll have to McGuyver the thing somehow.
10-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #12
Igilligan

I know it might not be the smartest thing, but I had one that I super-glued once...

It worked... but who knows what damage I have caused!

Last edited by Igilligan; 10-31-2008 at 09:01 PM.
10-31-2008, 08:56 PM   #13
Igilligan

Clicker....

THE GREATEST THUMBS UP I HAVE EVER RECeiVED!

thank you
10-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #14
jeffkpotter

Very smooth and interesting vibe with that lens. Wonderful test shots. I wish more people would
post tests of diverse subjects like you have. Cool pumpkin. Great cat!
10-31-2008, 09:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

WOW.

OK, I want it back now.

With the J-9, the Helios and the Cz Jena, you're set for some serious art now.
Very, very nice indeed. I think you're understanding light very well, by the way.