Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
Flightline
Lens: Sigma 70-200 Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Brampton ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: AlwaysAl, 05-17-2020, 07:31 AM

On the bright side, hiding out at home gives more time to play with images

Attached Images

Views: 607
05-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great capture of a very cool looking bi-plane! That would be so fun to see them fly.
05-17-2020, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Excellent shot and atmosphere. In January 1918, Fokker entered the experimental biplane in competition and it was tested by Manfred von Richthofen. He found it tricky, unpleasant and unstable in a dive. Fokker then lengthened the rear fuselage and added a triangular fin in front of the rudder. Richthofen tested the modified plane and praised it as the best aircraft of the competition. It proved safe and easy to fly, could dive without fear of structural failure, had high maneuverability and climbing ability, stalled gently, resisted spinning, and could "hang on its prop" to shoot enemy aircraft from below. Richthofen died in April, before the D.VII went into service.
05-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Great capture of a very cool looking bi-plane! That would be so fun to see them fly.
Thanks for looking in and commenting.
These folks fly routinely, and usually a couple of "home" shows each year. This shot was taken at their Fall Open House, September 2019.
The Great War Flying Museum | To honour the pilots who served with gallantry and distinction during the Great War of 1914 – 1918.

---------- Post added 05-17-2020 at 07:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Excellent shot and atmosphere. In January 1918, Fokker entered the experimental biplane in competition and it was tested by Manfred von Richthofen. He found it tricky, unpleasant and unstable in a dive. Fokker then lengthened the rear fuselage and added a triangular fin in front of the rudder. Richthofen tested the modified plane and praised it as the best aircraft of the competition. It proved safe and easy to fly, could dive without fear of structural failure, had high maneuverability and climbing ability, stalled gently, resisted spinning, and could "hang on its prop" to shoot enemy aircraft from below. Richthofen died in April, before the D.VII went into service.
Also thanks for looking in and commenting. I enjoy going to air field and capturing these planes in action. The folks are quite friendly and proud of their collection. The information youve provided I've not heard before so, thanks for that.

05-17-2020, 10:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the subject matter. But, it is not always about the photograph. You have to enjoy the back story regarding the scarf, that this pilot is not wearing, and for which this pilot will soon be punished if you read and understand the highest quality engine oils then in existence.
Friedrich Schringenrudder's Foppish Neckwear | Car Talk I actually used this linked story in a final argument in a criminal case, bought a bi-plane pilot's (Snoopy's - not the Red Baron's) scarf as a prop, to disparage the state's thin case. Thankfully, I didn't screw it up. The government lost.
05-18-2020, 04:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aviation and Car Talk! Two of my favorite topics. I'm not a pilot, but if I was I'd love to get my hands on a WW1 fighter replica. A Spad would be my first choice, but this one would be fun too.
05-18-2020, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Your post made me think of my wife's grandfather who was an early Canadian bush pilot, and flew Fokker Universals, among other airplanes in Manitoba and North Western Ontario, in very isolated areas. Back then the maps (late '20's/early '30) of these areas....above.... a certain point...just were blank white spaces with 'unexplored country' written on them.

He started flying them about a decade after the end of WW1. He passed away about 30 years ago, but I always enjoyed talking to him about his early bush pilot years, reading his flying logs, etc.

He eventually became an airline pilot , but for about many years was a bush pilot. Flew Belancas, Junkers (Flying Boxcar) , Bristol, etc.

He had an extremely adventurous life and was quite a character.

05-20-2020, 07:56 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
I love the subject matter. But, it is not always about the photograph. You have to enjoy the back story regarding the scarf, that this pilot is not wearing, and for which this pilot will soon be punished if you read and understand the highest quality engine oils then in existence.
Friedrich Schringenrudder's Foppish Neckwear | Car Talk I actually used this linked story in a final argument in a criminal case, bought a bi-plane pilot's (Snoopy's - not the Red Baron's) scarf as a prop, to disparage the state's thin case. Thankfully, I didn't screw it up. The government lost.
Thanks for this info! As you've mentioned, the back story is often the best part. Personally, I enjoy looking at the older stuff with an eye for how it's evolved; always impressive.