Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
CF Snowbirds over the Rockies - just kidding, here's a dandelion instead...
Lens: Takumar 55/1.8 Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Golden, BC 
Posted By: bertwert, 05-17-2020, 09:18 AM

Short story... yesterday the Snowbirds (which is the RCAF jet show team) had a map showing they'd be flying directly overhead. I had everything planned out with framing over the mountains, where they'd be coming from and so on. I planned my day around that time, and got it all ready. At the scheduled time, I waited. And waited. And waited. Nothing. I checked their social media, and they had landed at their destination. No sign or even a noise of them here... after much digging deep in comments, it turns out that they were doing the first half of the flight at transport altitude - as in 8km high, maybe they could have mentioned that in the post with the map... So much for calling it Operation Inspiration when it just wasted a bunch of time and left us disappointment here. Oh well, lots of blabbering - so here's a dandelion photo, of which I took many while waiting... I'm pretty happy with the detail I can get with the old Takumar...

Views: 193
05-17-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, wait a minute. I clicked on your thread expecting to see the Snowbirds. I know you said it's a dandelion instead, but I didn't believe it. It's a trap.

Too bad about the lost photo op. That would have been a great backdrop.

Last week, I did manage to catch a glimpse as the team flew over our house in west-end Ottawa. After all these years as an aeronautical engineer, seeing many types of aircraft, watching airshows, etc, my heart still skips a beat when I see and hear the Snowbirds.

- Craig

PS. It's a pretty good shot of a dandelion. But where are the mountains?
05-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Were the dandelions at least growing in tight formation?
05-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Hey, wait a minute. I clicked on your thread expecting to see the Snowbirds. I know you said it's a dandelion instead, but I didn't believe it. It's a trap.

Too bad about the lost photo op. That would have been a great backdrop.

Last week, I did manage to catch a glimpse as the team flew over our house in west-end Ottawa. After all these years as an aeronautical engineer, seeing many types of aircraft, watching airshows, etc, my heart still skips a beat when I see and hear the Snowbirds.

- Craig

PS. It's a pretty good shot of a dandelion. But where are the mountains?
Well, you can't accuse me of not being honest... but it would have been nice to see them...

As far as where the mountains are? Just out the window, looking in any direction

05-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Were the dandelions at least growing in tight formation?
Yep! Quite a huge fleet of them too...