Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
13 Likes  #1
Don't Mess With Me!
Lens: HD DA55-300mm f4.5-6.3 PLM Camera: K-3II Photo Location: Granite Bay, CA ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: ToddK, 05-17-2020, 01:51 PM

A male Anna's Hummingbird in his intimidating pose while he defends his feeder. The pour guy gets pretty frazzled because he tries to keep other hummingbirds away from two feeders that are about 20 feet apart. By the end of the day he has probably flown ten miles

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 1,086
05-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A beautiful display of colours. I was chatting with some neighbours who have feeders the other day (while trying to photograph the hummingbirds, but it was too overcast out) and they were theorising that having feeders could cause the birds to be more aggressive than usual, and that they use just as much energy defending feeders as eating...
05-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Beautiful shot of a beautiful hummer.

He probably flies a lot farther than that each day -- 20 miles is nothing for a hummingbird. Ruby-throated hummingbirds have a migration route that includes a 500-mile, non-stop crossing of the Gulf of Mexico. It's an arduous 18-20 flight and they do burn off about half their body weight on the journey but they do it!
05-17-2020, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
A beautiful display of colours. I was chatting with some neighbours who have feeders the other day (while trying to photograph the hummingbirds, but it was too overcast out) and they were theorising that having feeders could cause the birds to be more aggressive than usual, and that they use just as much energy defending feeders as eating...
Thanks Robert! I agree that they are probably more aggressive around feeders. They would have to scatter out to find enough food without the feeders and the encounters would be less frequent.
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Beautiful shot of a beautiful hummer.
He probably flies a lot farther than that each day -- 20 miles is nothing for a hummingbird. Ruby-throated hummingbirds have a migration route that includes a 500-mile, non-stop crossing of the Gulf of Mexico. It's an arduous 18-20 flight and they do burn off about half their body weight on the journey but they do it!
Thank you! Yes, you are right about how far they can travel. The Anna's are not migratory, but they still probably have a pretty large territory. I sometimes get Rufous Hummingbirds through my yard during spring migration. They winter in northern Mexico and summer in Canada, so they travel very long distances. FYI, they are MUCH more aggressive than Anna's and drive them off when they are in my yard.

05-18-2020, 02:27 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful capture at a great moment of display, Todd. Lovely image.
05-18-2020, 06:14 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Beautiful capture at a great moment of display, Todd. Lovely image.
Thank you K2 to K50!
05-18-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Love the capture! Little dude is trying to puff up! I have seen the female Ruby throated up here chasing away males from the feeders, and I see a large number with disheveled or missing feathers from little scraps with other hummers.

05-18-2020, 06:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One tough customer! A marvelous catch, Todd.

Jer
05-18-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Love the capture! Little dude is trying to puff up! I have seen the female Ruby throated up here chasing away males from the feeders, and I see a large number with disheveled or missing feathers from little scraps with other hummers.
Thank you for your nice comment! Yes, I am sure they can use those long beaks to their advantage.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
One tough customer! A marvelous catch, Todd.
Jer
Thank you kindly Jer!
05-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
A male Anna's Hummingbird in his intimidating pose while he defends his feeder. The pour guy gets pretty frazzled because he tries to keep other hummingbirds away from two feeders that are about 20 feet apart. By the end of the day he has probably flown ten miles
What a unique hummingbird shot!
05-31-2020, 06:49 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow!. This is so cool Todd. I somehow missed seeing this until now. Definitely a candidate for a wall hanger.
05-31-2020, 09:38 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
What a unique hummingbird shot!
Thank you! It gave me a perfect pose.
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Wow!. This is so cool Todd. I somehow missed seeing this until now. Definitely a candidate for a wall hanger.
Thanks Dave! I was really pleased that this guy let me get close, and he gave me a great pose.
05-31-2020, 02:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Beautiful!
05-31-2020, 02:18 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Don't Mess With Me!
A great shot... a Hummer with attitude.
05-31-2020, 04:03 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Beautiful!
Thank you Lana!