Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
2020-05-19-AP-raven
Lens: DA 55-300 PLM Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Algonquin Park (AP) ISO: 200 Aperture: F9 
Posted By: normhead, 05-19-2020, 06:26 AM

Algonquin Park Raven, Mizzy Lake Trail
K-1 and DA 55-300 PLM

The park is finally open for hiking.

After walking for an hour or so, I made my way up to West Rose Lake, where the trail is an old rail bed, and there's a nice bench high above the water with a wetland on either side.

As I got close to the bench a Raven flew in and start jumping from the bench to the ground and back up again. As I got close he paused on the bench.

Hey, dude, this is a nice place to sit down for a snack.

So accepting his invitation, I sat down and got my snack out...

Hey dude, are you going to eat all of that food? You'll get fat.

It took him a while to figure out I was only going to put food where I liked the background. I'm sure he was wondering why I didn't just toss it to him like everyone else.

Dude, why is this food way over here?
"Just trying to get a picture with the lake as background instead of the sandy rail bed."

Once I was out of food, he didn't hang around long.

Miraculously, a family of 5 came along the trail, and he appeared again and did the same dance, hopping off and onto the bench as he'd done for me. I think he missed us tourists during the lockdown.

Views: 211
05-19-2020, 07:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice Raven shots Norm - this year there's very few here (which is quite nice for a change), but a lot more crows than usual...
05-19-2020, 07:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Nice Raven shots Norm - this year there's very few here (which is quite nice for a change), but a lot more crows than usual...
Ravens are more solitary than crows, we oftens see large groups of crows on our walks. Also for the first time ever I have ravens coming to my back yard feeders, probably a mother and offspring. They are still pretty skittish, unlike this guy, but they have figured out the part where the best pickens are available right after the guy with the funny hat leaves.
05-19-2020, 07:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ravens are more solitary than crows, we oftens see large groups of crows on our walks. Also for the first time ever I have ravens coming to my bak yard feeders, probably a mother and offspring. They are still pretty skittish, unlike this guy, but they have figured out the part where the best pickens are available right after the guy with the funny hat leaves.
Ravens can be a real nuisance here, we had a neighbour who had ravens pecking out eyes of newborn kids... they also like to steal eggs... one year at our place there was a huge gathering of them, 20-odd all in the same tree, made me think of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds...

05-19-2020, 07:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Ravens can be a real nuisance here, we had a neighbour who had ravens pecking out eyes of newborn kids... they also like to steal eggs... one year at our place there was a huge gathering of them, 20-odd all in the same tree, made me think of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds...
These birds really communicate. Once one figures out something like pecking at kid eyes, they'll all do it. Those people needed a couple of border collies.
« Succulent | Bears! »