Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Greengrocer on wheels
Posted By: Fries, 05-19-2020, 02:52 PM

When the Covid crisis struck us and everybody was as much as possible in lock down I realized two local businesses with a really old-fashioned business model provided the community with an opportunity to stay at home even more. One is selling bread and other related stuff from door to door out of a van and lives in my village. The other one is a greengrocer on wheels and lives in another village nearby. In these times where you can order your groceries online most of these tradesmen have disappeared. Hell, even before that it was a dying occupation. And they are local guy's that don't drive all around the province.

So I decided to tell their story on the regional station I work for as a journalist. I am specialized in covering stuff about nature but I could not let this opportunity slide. The few that are lucky enough to understand the Dutch and Frisian languages can see and read about it over here: Venten door De Lege Geaën in coronatijd: bakje met geld staat buiten klaar | Omrop Fryslân

For everybody else... I have a portret of Bernard, the greengrocer.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-19-2020 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Category updated at member's request
Views: 1,100
05-22-2020, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Those are memories that I think are character building. One learns a lot going from door to door in such a way. Apart from the jerseys did you get a donut too? It must have been temping to steal a bite!
I did get a couple of donuts and remember this was many years ago...when donuts were donuts ! A lot of the donuts now in Western Canada are made in a commissary in eastern Canada, frozen, shipped by truck/train out here and then thawed out in a microwave and sold at donut franchises.

Believe me, each donut tastes like it's been rolled individually along the 1500 road miles from Toronto where they're made, to my town and some of that road must of been unimproved dirt and gravel.

But there is a small, bakery in the north end of my burg, that still makes old style donuts...jambusters (with real jam) and genuine eccles cakes that have that 1950's genuine taste to them.

And I still have my team hockey jersey that I was supposed to hand in, I think in 1963, but I believe I forgot to, for some reason.

05-24-2020, 03:23 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I did get a couple of donuts and remember this was many years ago...when donuts were donuts ! A lot of the donuts now in Western Canada are made in a commissary in eastern Canada, frozen, shipped by truck/train out here and then thawed out in a microwave and sold at donut franchises.

Believe me, each donut tastes like it's been rolled individually along the 1500 road miles from Toronto where they're made, to my town and some of that road must of been unimproved dirt and gravel.

But there is a small, bakery in the north end of my burg, that still makes old style donuts...jambusters (with real jam) and genuine eccles cakes that have that 1950's genuine taste to them.

And I still have my team hockey jersey that I was supposed to hand in, I think in 1963, but I believe I forgot to, for some reason.
Donuts have never gained any traction as popular snack in my part of the world. We do have other sugary delights though! Like this: Sugar Loaf ? Weekend Bakery