Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Autumn Walk in the Woods
Posted By: wa5am, 11-01-2008, 03:06 AM

Old road bed on the east end of my property here in north central Arkansas.

K20D w/FA77 Limited, iso 800 handheld. A storm was brewing to the west, and it was very overcast. 1/180th @ f/5.6, some curves PP with Gimp, no color/WB PP.

I wished I had taken a shorter lens, so did the best I could with the FA77.

-Morg-
Views: 1,555
11-01-2008, 03:12 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nice colour, however, there are grid-like artifacts throughout the image. I have seen this before and can come from over processing. When I see these on my images I usually back up to the point where they disappear and try something different.

I'm not sure you asked for it but that was just some friendly advise.
11-01-2008, 06:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Nice colour, however, there are grid-like artifacts throughout the image. I have seen this before and can come from over processing. When I see these on my images I usually back up to the point where they disappear and try something different.

Dang! You're right! I must have "resized" it instead of "resampling" it. That's what it looks like to me. Thanks for letting me know. Only post processing I did was adjust the curves a little.

Morg
11-01-2008, 06:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
Well, now I'm puzzled. I looked at another image taken there and see the same effect if I resample it down to 20% using a cubic algorithm (I tried others too). When viewing the resampled image at 100%, I see this same hatch pattern in the leaves on the road, but if I magnify it, the pattern seems to go away. I've never had this problem before. Here is the image from the K20D, except reduced/resampled for the web. No curves, etc., just rotated 90 degrees and resampled. Any suggestions about this hatching?

11-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You're good. I must need to have my eyes checked. I have to look really long to see what you are.
11-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
You're good. I must need to have my eyes checked. I have to look really long to see what you are.
HeeHee. Me too Wayne. It's there, but my eyes sure didn't catch it until it was pointed out. I would have never known since my eyesight up close is pretty bad.

One thing that did occur to me I changed in the camera before this session is the "sharpness" level. I happened to see the level was set to -1 and bumped it up to 0 (zero) thinking I was doing the right thing. Since I don't remember ever changing this, I think it was set this way at the factory, and even the manual shows that screen with the sharpness set at -1. That makes sense because too much sharpness would cause exactly this sort of effect. I've put it back to -1, so I'll see what happens and post my results. I hope that's all it is since now I'm worried!

Thanks.
Morg
11-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That's a pretty shot, especially considering that the color has been spotty at best this year...maybe it's a little better in your area. Where in North Central Arkansas are you? I used to live in Stone County, but am in Fayetteville now. Always nice to see postings from fellow Arkansans.

I don't see the cross hatch pattern being referred to...maybe my eyes are getting worse than I thought. Maybe you could try some different resizing algorithms. Personally, I like Imagemagick the best for resizing...I use the default algorithm (lanczos I believe), but Imagemagick lets you choose from many different algorithms.

11-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi Scott,

I'm really not in "far north" central. More like far north of Little Rock!

I'm about 45 miles due north of there in northern Faulkner county. Colors have not become too brilliant here either. More "earthy" type tone than anything. Some of the leaves simply turned a dull brown and fell off. I really expected better this year with the cooler than normal August and rain we had.

Your neck of the woods is really pretty, and wish I had more time to go up there with the camera.

Thanks for the comments!

Morg
11-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Oh, now I see 'em (love the easy screen zoom on my mac)... Yes those are called pixels, and are an unfortunate result of digitizing images. The best fix is to only shoot film and view using traditional enlarging techniques...

Honestly I can't make out the grid whatsoever... Nice image though. Very peaceful (watch out for squirrel hunters).
11-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wa5am Quote
Hi Scott,

I'm really not in "far north" central. More like far north of Little Rock!

I'm about 45 miles due north of there in northern Faulkner county...

Morg
So, you must be pretty close to Greers Ferry Lake. There's some pretty country around that area.

Cheers,
11-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

there are grid-like artifacts throughout the image
what is that? not sure what you mean
11-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by impete82 Quote
what is that? not sure what you mean
I run dual LCD monitors on my PC. One renders a higher resolution than the other. On the low res model (Acer) I can barely see the artifacts, but on the Samsung they are clearly evident. Perhaps one needs an LCD monitor that has a high resolution - just a suggestion, but I could be wrong.

I downloaded the image and re-sharpened (read: over sharpened) it in PhotoShop CS2 and it seems to magnify the lines, so it may be a result of over sharpening.