Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Our Backyard is for the Birds
Lens: DA*300/4 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Backyard ISO: 3200 
Posted By: Sailor, 05-29-2020, 11:14 AM

At least this time of the year.

Here's a couple of shots of Carolina Chickadees and one of a Cardinal taking advantage of Connie's well-stocked feeder. I identified the chickadees using the The Cornell Lab website, a link to which Mar (photolady95) sent me some time back - it's got a slick process for identification that's remarkably easy to use.

These shots were made on a fairly gloomy morning in our well-shaded, light-starved backyard with my K-3. Hand holding the camera required (for me at least) iso 3200, which I ordinarily try to avoid with the K-3, and the pics are a bit "muddy". I suppose I should set up my tripod (if I can remember where it is), but I'm too lazy.

Jer

Views: 550
05-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful captures, Jer. Many thanks for posting.

TT
05-29-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You get some very colourful Birds there and good shots btw
05-30-2020, 06:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Beautiful captures, Jer. Many thanks for posting.

TT
I appreciate the kind words, Tony . . . . as always!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
You get some very colourful Birds there and good shots btw
Thanks, EM.

Jer

05-30-2020, 06:50 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Glad to see you're making use of that link I gave you Jer. And a beautiful shot of the Cardinal. I'm jealous, we don't get the chickadees down here, but you've captured them well.
05-30-2020, 07:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice work Jer. Fun having them around isn't it?
05-31-2020, 07:38 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Glad to see you're making use of that link I gave you Jer. And a beautiful shot of the Cardinal. I'm jealous, we don't get the chickadees down here, but you've captured them well.
Hey, Mar - thanks much. The link is great! These little chickadees are almost fearless!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Nice work Jer. Fun having them around isn't it?
Thanks, Dave. I'm not much of a wildlife photographer, but I like to try my hand now and again - and, like you say, watch the little critters is a fun activity in itself.

Jer

05-31-2020, 09:33 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice images Jer. We don't have either of these birds here in CA. Cardinals are particularly beautiful birds.
06-01-2020, 06:18 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Very nice images Jer. We don't have either of these birds here in CA. Cardinals are particularly beautiful birds.
Thanks, Todd. I wish these were more crisp - maybe the high iso, maybe my K-3's focusing isn't quite as spot on as is that of my K-1, or - more likely - the bozo behind the camera needs better technique.

Jer
06-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Thanks, Todd. I wish these were more crisp - maybe the high iso, maybe my K-3's focusing isn't quite as spot on as is that of my K-1, or - more likely - the bozo behind the camera needs better technique.

Jer
Not the bozo, Jer. Just your settings. You can lower your f stop and try spot metering instead of multi-segment metering. This is the metering mode I use on birds. Fstop can be as low as f5.6. Then you can lower your ISO.
06-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Not the bozo, Jer. Just your settings. You can lower your f stop and try spot metering instead of multi-segment metering. This is the metering mode I use on birds. Fstop can be as low as f5.6. Then you can lower your ISO.
That's good advice, Mar, even though I'm still a bozo - just ask my wife. As it happens, today I played around with the settings you suggest. I haven't processed the files yet - we'll see what happens. What's irritating is that I used to be pretty good with a K-3; now I seem to be incompetent with my K-3 after virtually abandoning it after I got my K-1 a couple of years ago. Maybe the K-3 hasn't forgiven me for neglecting it.

Jer
06-01-2020, 07:57 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
That's good advice, Mar, even though I'm still a bozo - just ask my wife. As it happens, today I played around with the settings you suggest. I haven't processed the files yet - we'll see what happens. What's irritating is that I used to be pretty good with a K-3; now I seem to be incompetent with my K-3 after virtually abandoning it after I got my K-1 a couple of years ago. Maybe the K-3 hasn't forgiven me for neglecting it.

Jer
Wives can be pretty hard on a feller at times, but I'm sure she doesn't really think of you as a bozo. She's still with you.

Might be the K-3 hasn't forgiven you, but I think after you try might settings, you'll find they work better than what you used and it's not the K-3s fault at all, but in the computer world we call that a PEBKAC error, here it would be PEBCAP.